jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do you find a lot of differences attending college as a more mature student?

1. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 6 years ago

Do you find a lot of differences attending college as a more mature student?

2. ahmed.b profile image78
    ahmed.bposted 6 years ago

Yes, and actually the difference is created by the contrast in your way of thinking, developed by age, the way other in average age group of your collegues. It is not just study, but even the extra carricular activities also matters. And one have to work alot to get over the feeling of being more mature and more experienced while talking to fellow students. And only then you can get mixed up, but that too to some limits.

3. kschimmel profile image47
    kschimmelposted 6 years ago

Yes!  When I went back to grad school I felt sorry for the young students.  They didn't seem to have the preparation I had, judging from the "quality" of their discussion board posts and contributions to those horrible group projects that seem to be the rage nowadays.  They were nice, bright kids, but somebody failed to teach them to read and think critically and to write coherently.  I'm glad I had dinosaur teachers who insisted on complete sentences, logical arguments and individual accountability.

4. shea duane profile image60
    shea duaneposted 6 years ago

When I was in college at 18-22, I was working and studying and having fun... way too much fun. Now I work and study and have normal, alcohol-free fun, I love school and learn so much more. My son and I do our homework together.

5. PaulStaley1 profile image74
    PaulStaley1posted 6 years ago

I hope so----I plan to go back in my 30s!!

6. elayne001 profile image73
    elayne001posted 6 years ago

How to survive university as a mature student. Older students go to school for various reasons. Why you should go back to school and get a degree. read more

7. moonfairy profile image81
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

I went to college late in life so yes. I was raising my son, working full time and going to college full time in the evenings. I was much more aware of what my goal was and was able to focus on that instead of the sociable part. I wasn't there for the party, I was there for the degree.

8. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
    Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years ago

I was only a few years older than the average college student age and I felt so out of place. I guess because I'm not a smart-phone wielding, Hollister wearing dorm kid, I was always the odd one out for most group projects and had a hard time finding people to actually befriend and connect with.

I had a better rapport with my professors than anyone else.

9. elayne001 profile image73
    elayne001posted 2 years ago

It took me 30 years to get my university degree. I stopped in the middle to have children. Then I took classes with my youngest (not so great for him). All my children graduated from college - three with Master's degree and I finished not long after my youngest. Yes, definitely there were a lot of differences attending college as a more mature student. I was much more serious when I was older. Most of my teachers were younger than me. I wanted to learn all I could and was very diligent about my homework just because. I also worked and went to school at the same time. My husband was a great support and he enjoyed hearing what I had learned.