Can you provide a concrete example(s) of a living being currently evolving into

1. Bruce A. Beaudet profile image85
    Bruce A. Beaudetposted 6 years ago

Can you provide a concrete example(s) of a living being currently evolving into another species?

Think in terms of a higher taxa e.g., a transition into human species.  I am not looking for examples in the fossil record but rather, living, breathing beings in a transitional state that is readily evident.

2. agusfanani profile image80
    agusfananiposted 6 years ago

As the evolution theory says that birds were originally from reptiles, the gliding lizards or flying dragons (Draco volans) may be supporting this theory.

3. gerryboyle profile image59
    gerryboyleposted 6 years ago

It depends how you define "another species". In the asexual microbial world it is probably happening several times per second worldwide. However, defining a species at the microbial and virus level is a bit hazy (especially since the advent of genomics).

In terms of sexual species turning into two populations which have then evolved to be reproductively isolated (i.e. could not interbreed and produce fertile offspring) has happened several times in laboratory strains of Drosophila (fruit fly) and I expect in many other laboratory cultures as well (algae, zooplankton, etc.).

As for higher taxa currently evolving into other species it's hard to say because we can't know whether they will become reproductively isolated or not in the future. Will cows in Italy be able to have babies with cows in Switzerland tomorrow? I don't know and nobody can ever answer a question like that. Higher taxa generally have too slow a reproductive cycle for us to easily see evolutionary events of this magnitude.

However, my brother is potentially devolving into a missing-link type hominid so this maybe more what you were looking for. I'll have to find a picture.