As civilization advances, culture declines?

1. dilipchandra12 profile image78
    dilipchandra12posted 6 years ago

Civilization refer to the material and instrumental side of human cultures that are complex in terms of technology, science, and division of labor.

Culture refer to excellence of taste in the fine arts and humanities, also known as high culture. Integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for symbolic thought and social learning. Set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution, organization, or group.

2. Tom Head profile image58
    Tom Headposted 6 years ago

I don't think so. Fine arts and humanities require leisure time, and material and instrumental gains allow more leisure time. I do think that consumer culture does strange things to fine arts and the humanities, but I don't think that I know exactly what yet, and I haven't encountered anyone else who seems to know, either.

Excellence of taste is a relative concept. Most of what passes for high culture actually represents a sort of leisure-worship that is becoming passé as the fine arts and humanities become more accessible to all sectors of our culture. That's progress, in my view, and the sense that the fine arts and humanities are somehow being cheapened by this only reveals the degree to which classism influences Western aesthetics.