Why is alcohol legal and marijuana not ?

1. challks profile image59
    challksposted 6 years ago

Why is alcohol legal and marijuana not ?

Ive heard there is no documented cases of marijuana causing any type of deaths , and you all know how many deaths are related to alcohol.

2. wkhigley profile image60
    wkhigleyposted 6 years ago

It's mostly just a matter of what is more socially acceptable in our culture. Most people are of the mindset that an occasional drink or two is perfectly fine while a much smaller portion of our society is ok with the idea of someone having an occasional joint.  Realistically, while they're both bad for you, they aren't terribly dangerous if used responsibly and in moderation.

This is an excellent video on the known negative health effects of marijuana, which I suggest for anyone that tend to take either extreme on the topic.

While I'm not interested by or fond of marijuana, I do generally think we would be much better off by legalizing, regulating, and taxing it like we do alcohol.

3. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I agree about the amount of deaths and chronic illness associated with alcohol - but the focus seems always to be on other drugs such as heroine, ectasy and so on. The amount of people who go through Accident & Emergency rooms as well as visits to doctors with health related alcohol problems is huge, not to mention all the anti-social stuff that goes on with it as well. But for some odd reason this is still acceptable where as maijuana is not. Personally I think it's double standards, but it probably also has to do with how much money alcohol makes for big business and governments. Where as marijuana doesn't. I've felt for a long time that drugs such as marijuana should be legalised. Holland have had this in place for years with no ill effects - I guess they know how to treat their citizens like adults, able to make choices for themselves.