Do you believe in solar flares destroying our entire electrical grid?

1. CorinneCanada profile image60
    CorinneCanadaposted 6 years ago

Do you believe in solar flares destroying our entire electrical grid?

NASA and other various space agencies around the world do talk about them, and 2012 is supposed to be a peak maximum intensity year for them. They are warning that they could potentially destroy our grid, leaving us without electricity for a long time.

2. homesteadbound profile image89
    homesteadboundposted 6 years ago

I do not know if this is true or possible. What I do know is that I have had constant problems with my wireless internet connections over the last couple weeks!

3. wandererh profile image75
    wandererhposted 5 years ago

I remember watching a documentary about it and it is a potentially viable scenario.  When a massive solar flare hits the Earth, enormous currents will be induced in overhead power transmissions lines that carry electrical power over hundreds of kilometers.  Transformers that convert between high and low voltages at both ends of these transmission lines can potentially be overloaded and destroyed.  Demand for such transformers is low and so there are only a few companies in the world capable of producing such transformers.  If there is a sudden surge in demand, it could takes months, or perhaps years, before all the damaged transformers can be replaced.