jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How can you prepare your high schooler to be sucessful in college?

1. VirginiaLynne profile image98
    VirginiaLynneposted 5 years ago

How can you prepare your high schooler to be sucessful in college?

I've got a high school daughter and I want to know what I can do now to help her have a successful college career.

2. Paul Kuehn profile image96
    Paul Kuehnposted 5 years ago

Study skills and critical reading skills are very important for a successful college career.  I might add it is very important for a college student to read quickly and know how to scan, especially when he or she is assigned 15-20 books to read in an English literature course.

3. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

Classes at the local community college help, if the school is any good. If a college is close enough, just walking around the campus, asking questions and talking to faculty and staff is useful.

4. Tiger Mom profile image60
    Tiger Momposted 5 years ago

I'll share with you what I tell my high school aged son.  You have to be invested in your life experience.  You will be successful in college if you are engaged in your coursework, the activities, and the other students.

5. Voronwe profile image60
    Voronweposted 5 years ago

Some great advice in the answers here!
    Yes, you cannot separate yourself or be picky about college interactions, activities and participation.
    Also - time management, responsible decision-making, setting priorities right and making firm commitments to your goals.