why should boys be educated than girls

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (70 posts)
  1. profile image53
    alhaji bayohposted 14 years ago

i  would  like  to  know  what u  think  of  the above topic

1. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know Alhaji, but I do know that where you come from, much emphasis is laid on Boys being educated than girls. smile

What are your thoughts, Sir? Is a boys education more important than a girls?

2. dahoglund profile image71
      dahoglundposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Education should be for everyone and the kind and amount of education depends on the individual abilities, interests and goals

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

not sure where you are from, but your post reminds me of the great quote from a leader in south africa who said, 'educate a woman, you educate a nation.'

an educated woman will teach her children to grow up and make dreams come true.

all children should be educated, boys and girls. smile

1. Dame Scribe profile image57
        Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bravo! smile

4. brianjohnson951 profile image61
      brianjohnson951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Boys and girls are both have the chance to to educated regardless. The problem is that the left referred the girl more than the boys and the right referred the boys over the girl. As for me, I believe that there are limit on what boys and girls can do.

5. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone should be taught above anyone else. It should be to the individuals talents and drive that the focus should be placed.

However I have heard that in some cultures that the thrust of education should be placed on the female, as the mother is the first teacher of the children. She should have the tools neccesary to get it off to a good start.

6. Guckenberger profile image85
      Guckenbergerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Males and females need to be educated. My fiance hasn't gone to college yet, and I am working hard to make it far enough in life to help her with that.

7. Abdul Samad Jamali profile image60
      Abdul Samad Jamaliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Both male and female have basic right to get education. A female as mother is first teacher of a baby. If she is educated in the good way, so coming generation will be more disciplined and be proved as good citizens. I think both should learn shoulder to shoulder. Our religion also tells both to struggle for education and knowledge.

8. Rhylee Suyom profile image83
      Rhylee Suyomposted 4 years agoin reply to this

In communities or even societies which are highly patriarchal, the emphasis on boys or men is paramount. Less than a century ago, women had to fight for what they now enjoy yet remnants of patriarchal traditions, customs, norms, and cultures continue to enforce the idea that men are better and therefore must be given more privileges over women hence prioritizing them to have formal schooling. However, if education only means learning, then the line (access to education) dividing men and women has grown significantly thin even to the point of near equality. Modern society does not seem to see any difference at all these days though.

1. boyaciustasi profile image61
        boyaciustasiposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The brightest and most talented people in my life are women.

1. Rhylee Suyom profile image83
          Rhylee Suyomposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree. In fact, the same goes for me: my greatest role models are women. It is a great time to see that equality and equity are commonly observed now than half a century ago.

9. teresapelka profile image79
      teresapelkaposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Your question presumes, it does not ask if, it asks why. The first thing to ask is, if boys should be favored over girls in education, and the straightforward answer is — no, you do not make decisions in education based on gender. Education needs to base on merit, on intellectual progress and skill.
      The difference between human males and females is in average body mass, not in capacity for intellect. Neanderthals, there is a theory, they died off (and didn't evolve) because they were "macho" too much. They didn't see a woman could have brains. : )

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

The brightest and most talented people in my life are women. The boy's are better plan is a farce. Once women turn their service ethic to the work place they will dominate as they should if they out produce their male counterparts.

1. Lymond profile image86
      Lymondposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In 12 years of school, 2 years of college and 3 years of university, i've observed in my immediate surroundings that the female average is higher than the male average, but the brightest kid in the class was always male. The girls were always far better at applying themselves and since most work in the real world is just about applying yourself to the task at hand... well we kinda loose out on that one. In terms of grades though, if the system favours an approach (anybody notice the massive rise in coursework over exams in the UK schooling?) and you happen to be good at that approach, you're going to appear smarter than the person who isn't. To answer the question though, I seem to recall from geography a long time ago that areas with with educated women had, overall, a much better 'standard of living' ergo educate everybody you possibly can!

3. mkott profile image68
    mkottposted 14 years ago

For the advancement of any society and keeping up with the ever changing world the education of both sexes should be encouraged.

No one is more important than the other.

1. hoodieweather profile image60
      hoodieweatherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Took the words right out my mouth. (keyboard?)

smile

2. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree!

4. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

It's true that males are not inherently more important than females overall, but it may be that a boy's education is more important than a girl's in particular societies. I can easily imagine that an intelligent, well-educated woman would be suicidal in a society that had no allowed uses for her. That would be equally true for men but it doesn't happen to them as often as it does to women.

5. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Boys and girls, men and women should have the same opportunities for education, and the same requirements for graduation.

1. kilobugs profile image65
      kilobugsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mmmh i doubt about that, women have a lot to deal with than guys have and it's the fact! that's why they have low requirements in some countries and that makes perfect sence

6. Sexy jonty profile image58
    Sexy jontyposted 14 years ago

Year 2000 male dominated world ....
    Year 2050 female dominated world ....

7. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Boys should have no more education opportunity than girls! People (boys and girls) should seek and be encouraged to get all the education they can and they should be taught that education is a life long continual process.

8. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

"why should boys be educated than girls"

no reason I can think of

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In some culture, parents tend to send boys more to school than girls because they believe that girls will just become a housewufe later on and will not work outside the house, so education is no use to them. Usually these societies are patriarchal and have son preference (mostly in Asia where I came from).

This is wrong of course but soemtimes it is difficult imposing what should be done specially from western perspectives to other culture.

For myself, I see this as unequal opportunity for self improvement

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Both girls and boys, ideally, should be well educated.  Both my have to support a family one day.  Both can benefit from not having to struggle in life.  The term, "just a housewife" is an unfortunate one that a lot of people use.  When women do stay home to raise children it may be even more important that they be intelligent and well educated (those are two separate things) because it is primarily their nurturing that will impact the kind of people the children turn out to be.  From at least a Western viewpoint, it's very short-sighted and unfortunate that the people most known for rearing the children would be viewed as the ones least in need of intelligence/education.

9. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Education should be available to all, regardless of gender.  In an ideal world every child born should have access to good food, shelter, medical services and education.

10. SensoryEdge profile image60
    SensoryEdgeposted 14 years ago

The future of our world is based on smart people not boys vs. girls. Of course certain cultures place one over the other for reasons handed down centuries ago. However just like certain dietary laws that once kept people alive, are not as valid in Westernized countries.

The bottom line is whether its boys or girls, both can succeed if they try hard.

11. Rayalternately profile image61
    Rayalternatelyposted 14 years ago

Surely every rational person in the western world now agrees that all people should be offered an equal opportunity to be educated, regardless of gender.

I think the question would have been more interesting had it asked the opinion of why some cultures still hold onto the belief that women are somehow inferior.

12. Blogging Erika profile image66
    Blogging Erikaposted 14 years ago

A better question is, "Why would anyone think otherwise?" 

Limiting education by gender - in either direction - is utterly stupid.

13. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

both boys and girls should have equal opportunity to be able to improve themselves, but alas in some areas which are still agricultural and patriarchal, boys are usually the one who pursue higher education because of the belief that the women will just be the caretaker of the hgome...

14. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

In Britain, I believe that Government are actively encouraging girls to be invested in, academically.  In fact, there is some critism that Boys are being left behind.  What do you think to this?

15. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Women are not better than Man.

Men are not better than Woman.

Each are human beings, just of opposite gender.

Their learning curve isn't better than another.

There is no difference on how they each learn.

They- each should be taught equally.

Any explanation to make a difference other than gender, is discrimination or gender bias.

16. Manna in the wild profile image64
    Manna in the wildposted 14 years ago

It is a MIND which is to be educated. Gender is a complication artificially introduced for no reason.

1. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not much offered to back that argument other than opinion and theory.

17. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Women could teach most men what it means to carry a whole family and have a great attitude to boot!

That said, and being the pig that I am, lessons in how to please your man without reservation would be nice!

1. profile image53
      ronlawposted 14 years agoin reply to this

History shows that men have been, and are intellectually superior to women. Just carry on pleasing your man. WTG

1. yoshi97 profile image56
        yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

*psst*

I don't know what survey you read, but actually women are intellectually superior and men are physically superior ... Do the research ... smile

18. profile image53
    ronlawposted 14 years ago

How many female geniuses are there? Inventors? Artists? Composers? Philosophers? Scientists? Explorers, Doctors, Sculptors? Surgeons? Rugby players? Racing car/motor cycle drivers? Bus/articulated lorry drivers? People who have been to the moon? Good drivers period? Yes the insurance people rate women drivers as a lesser risk. This is largely because we men, gallantly, have accidents trying to avoid women who would be better off at home knitting than allowed on the streets putting everyone at risk. It is acknowledged that females have very little spacial awareness. Putting a woman in a 4WD is inviting disaster. My car bears the scars of many female driven 4WDs trying to park! Insurance companies assess claims based on the policy holder who is mainly the man in the family! Wives have the accidents, husbands get the blame! Of course fewer women have accidents than men. Men drivers out number women by a factor of -guessing - 5 to 1. Educating females is a waste of resources. They will admit that at certain times in the month (I'd say most times) they don't know what they are doing - pre menstrual tension, post menstrual tension, that thing when they dry up altogether (Roll on!)

1. torimari profile image68
      torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Uh oh, misogynist in the house! ;D

19. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Back when we were hunter gatherers it made sense that men were considered superior as the survival f all counted on their hunting prowess. If they didn't kill an animal, no one at meat ... which led to the subservient roll of females bringing home picked berries for those husbands who couldn't fulfill their niche.

Of course, that all ended when we started leading a farming existence, at which point the need to see men as superior to women ended, but the practice still continued.

For any man who considers themselves vastly superior to any woman I ask you this ... would you be willing to endure the pain of giving birth to a child?

Trust me ... women are every bit as tough and bright as men are. The only difference being that men tend to excel at mathematics and women tend to accelerate at language - though this isn't always the case.

I would assume that the difference in development stemmed from the hunter gatherer stage where men needed to be able to think in mathematical terms to catch their prey (you don't just throw a spear - a lot of calculations go through your head if you're going to hit anything) and women needed to communicate more to gather berries while watching for attacks from wild critters.

So ... as we are no longer hunter gatherers ... I declare men and women as equals, both deserving of an excellent education. smile

Oh ... and for those guys who think women have never contributed anything important ... know this ... a woman designed the first computer language that led to the very PC you sit in front of today. I wish I could remember her name, but it escapes me. Regardless, because of her you can sit in front of a PC and type on the internet. smile

1. wyanjen profile image71
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would like to refute the above statement.

I will compose an eloquent and informative dissertation to chronicle the historical evidence which affirms that women and men are equally adept.

Then, I'll e-mail it to you, so you can count the words for me 'cuz I'm real bad with numbers.

Wait - I think I just proved your point for you...
      Never mind then.
      smile

2. profile image53

Wrong!!! Alan Turing is the name of the woman whose name you can't recall. Oops! That's a man's name isn't it. Since he is credited with inventing the computer it's just conceivable  that he invented a language to go with it or am I missing something? Did your lady come along and translate for him? No wonder you can't remember her name. Can you remember yours?

Did you take up computer science in college? If you did, your teacher missed an earlier chapter...

Taken directly from Wikipedia:

Ada Lovelace

She is mainly known for having written a description of Charles Babbage's early mechanical general-purpose computer, the analytical engine. She is today appreciated as the "first programmer" since she was writing programs—that is, encoding an algorithm in a form to be processed by a machine—for a machine that Babbage had not yet built. She also foresaw the capability of computers to go beyond mere calculating or number-crunching while others, including Babbage himself, focused only on these capabilities.

1. profile image53
          1. profile image0
            Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are talking to a male.  Wow.  Intellectual in the house. (That, my friend, was sarcasm.  Just to clue you in.)

2. profile image53

Just read your bit about the myth of bearing the pains of child birth. Have you not realised that men originally bore children but being of superior intellect, delegated that rather tiresome chore to women. We tried to get the poor old seahorse to join us but sadly he, just like a man, went his own way and I admire that.

1. profile image0

You are a complete misogynist.  But hey, if you can't say something intelligent, say something really stupid.  Works every time...I'm, uh, sure.

And actually, the differences in verbal and numeric aptitudes (which are not always gender specific) have to do (as far as the studies I've read) with the varying amounts of sex hormones both genders have in their makeup.  This is thought to occur during fetal development--and effects brain make up, although not the actual sex of the baby.

Thanks Lita. smile

I was looking at things from an evolutionary advantage point of view, but differences in hormones explains it very well. Of course ... it becomes a chicken and egg problem. Did we fulfill the early roles we did because of the hormones inside of us or did we develop those hormones to fulfill those roles.

Not answerable, I know, but it makes for good debate. smile

1. profile image0

I'm just being bad, wink.  I'll stop now.

Carry on with the good stuff, smile.

Sure ... abandon ship when I'm preparing to fire a good shot across his bow.

That's okay Lita, I still likes ya. smile

2. profile image53

As a complete misogynist with 5 children - what did I do right? I take your point about if you can't say something intelligent then say something stupid. I rest my case!

3. profile image53

Trying to sound like Homer Simpson cuts no ice. The facts are women are governed by phases of the moon, intuition and Eastenders. Of the three, my trust and hope is in Eastenders without Barbara Windsor of course!

*crickets chirping*

2. profile image53
              1. profile image53

Oops just remembered some other influences on women, -Strictly, X factor, Holby, and Casualty. All as intellectually stimulating as examining a cabbage for signs of butterfly damage.

*psst* Ronlaw, I think you're talking to yourself ... I'll move along to give you some privacy ...

1. profile image0
                    Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol  lol  lol

2. profile image53

Sorry for intimating that cabbage investigation is not a treasured activity.

20. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

BTW

Alan Turning: born June 1912 – died 7 June 1954

Ada Lovelace: born December 1815 – died November 1852

Beat him out by a century ...  again, info provided by Wikipedia, but verifiable through many other sources

21. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I've no studies to reference, only anecdotal observations.  In my parents' nuclear family which consisted of Mom, Dad, me, and my two younger sisters, it was Mom who had the Master's Degree in English and Dad who evidenced the greater intuitive faculty.  Mixing those genes (Mom's and Dad's) produced two high school Valedictorians and one Salutatorian (and, later on, three college degrees).

With our educations being as similar as possible without a scientific experimental control group in place, it was the male (me) who managed to go through six divorces and two bankruptcies before finally, apparently at least, settling down with wife number seven while being permanently estranged from my biological children.  Both females (my sisters) remain married to their first mates, in close and loving contact with their own children, and well regarded in the same Montana county where the three of us were raised.

It seems rather likely that the two educated girls have done much better at USING those educations than has  their equally educated brother. 

From a number of social and financial angles, anyway.

1. profile image53

This is a script for the next Curb Your Enthusiasm. (Much loved and appreciated in Britain BTW)

22. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 6 years ago

Why should boys be more educated than girls?  They should all be educated enough to begin a sentence with a capital letter, end it with the correct punctuation, and get the verb correct.  Let's start with those goals and move on from there - especially on a writing site.

1. Lisa Hayden profile image61
      Lisa Haydenposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hahahahhaha... Such an epic answer. Boy(s) need some extraaaa "education"

23. Luke Holm profile image87
    Luke Holmposted 6 years ago

The obvious answers: Boys rule, girls drool. Boys are from Mars and women are from Venus. No girls allowed in the TreeHouse! God made men better...JK!

IFF there is any reasonable answer to this ridiculous question, it's likely that females have surpassed males in their intellect and drive for success in life, and males need to "catch up," because they are quickly falling behind. Don't believe me? Look at the responses from the women on this page compared to the original question...

I digress, knowing your English is poor and rudimentary.  This does not, however, justify your subsequent sexism and chauvinism. Good luck if you ever visit the West or any First World nation. Women here are tough as nails and smart as whips. So are men... In fact, we're all educated to realize our ignorance. Perhaps it's time you learn too.

24. Kuldeep dogra profile image39
    Kuldeep dograposted 5 years ago

I don't think boys should be educated than girls.

25. wikipendidikan profile image60
    wikipendidikanposted 5 years ago

Because boy is a leader

26. profile image53
    edufintechposted 5 years ago

Good one

27. basicfirst profile image58
    basicfirstposted 4 years ago

Both Girls and Boys are equal. Even now a days Girls are doing better in academic as well as in competitive exams. They should be given equal chance to prove themselves. For conservative family opt for e-learning.

1. Priyanka Bibijulal profile image60
      Priyanka Bibijulalposted 3 years agoin reply to this

In a male dominated society, to educate the boy would in turn help the boy being able to understand, respect and consider his counter part which would in turn help her in her liberation...which is equal to educating her.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)