jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is the proper etiquette for scooping jelly out of the jelly jar? Using a sp

1. tlpoague profile image88
    tlpoagueposted 5 years ago

What is the proper etiquette for scooping jelly out of the jelly jar? Using a spoon or knife?

My grandmother told me never to scoop jelly out of the jar with a knife. We were to use spoons. I am curious why that is and what the proper etiquette is. Could someone explain it please?

2. CameraAdventures profile image60
    CameraAdventuresposted 5 years ago

A Spoon would hold the jelly, but a knife would let it slip out.

3. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Jelly in a jar?  We always have jelly with custard or creamy triffle in a bowl and eat it with a spoon, it's not wise to stick a knife in your mouth, especially with some thing as unstable as jelly on it.

4. relujobs profile image59
    relujobsposted 5 years ago

Perhaps because the knife is and should be used only for cutting and so.
    I know I had used a knife and eat from it directly, my parents always tell me to use a knife and cut just so, do not use the knife for other uses and even less to eat from it, because they say that eating the knife will cut you .... if it's true or not remains a mystery.
    With respect,

5. profile image0
    Rob Pennposted 5 years ago

You peeps are making me laugh.

tipoague is from the States. They call their jam jelly.

I always use a knife and never put the knife back in the jar after spreading as puts crumbs in the jar.

6. tlpoague profile image88
    tlpoagueposted 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer this question. I have called it jam, jelly, preserves, and many other names, but most of the time stick with jelly. This is interesting to see what everyone's thought on this are.

7. daisyflowrs profile image60
    daisyflowrsposted 5 years ago

I'm stuck. I never thought I would read the words "etiquette" and "jelly" in the same sentence. Take the jar, tilt it toward the bread/toast. Use the knife to guide the jelly on to the bread/toast. Use said knife to spread the jelly. Use a napkin or towel to wipe off the top of the jelly jar (it gets yucky after awhile if it is closed with out cleaning). Rinse knife. Put knife in sink or dishwasher. Eat toast/bread. Enjoy! As far as etiquette? Fugheddaboudit! It's jelly!