jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is searching for the meaning of life enough to be the meaning of life?

1. Philanthropy2012 profile image86
    Philanthropy2012posted 5 years ago

Is searching for the meaning of life enough to be the meaning of life?

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
    Shahid Bukhariposted 5 years ago

Yes ...

For when you come to know ... the Meaning of Life ... Means, you get to Know, that there is a Purpose of Life ...
    You Find ... That there is a Creator of Life ... You Follow The Laws ... that should Govern ... Human Life ...
    That's what ... a Believer, Is ...

3. Panacea-VVD profile image60
    Panacea-VVDposted 5 years ago

An insightful question, and I like the way you phrased it.
    I notice that it assumes three things: first, that there is, in fact, a “meaning of life;” second, that if there is such a thing, only one and not more exist (why can’t there be two, or seven, or even infinite meanings?); and third, that such a meaning is constant, rather than variable and relative to any given person.
    It’s important to remember that “meaning” is a human idea, imposed on the universe by us, and not vice versa. One way to see it is as follows...
    There are two kinds of meaning (or purpose): internal and external. The first is what people hope to achieve in their lives through certain actions (e.g. the purpose of a visit to France could be to learn about French culture.) The second is the notion of a purpose beyond our daily lives, an ultimate aim that would justify our existence. While the first is a useful concept, grounded in reality, the second is based on our desire to feel necessary and important. It doesn’t sit well with us that there may not be a reason for our existence. So distasteful is this possibility, so offensive to our sense of worth, that many prefer to invent a purpose rather than consider its likelihood dispassionately. Unfortunately, uncomfortable conclusions can’t simply be wished away.

4. profile image0
    erickcbposted 5 years ago

Yup. The Journey is what counts. I fully believe that the growing process itself, not the final destination is where the meaning of it all lies. I believe people are just like everything else in this universe. Changing forever. Growing, experiencing, forever blooming into something.. something beyond words. Everyday you are a "bigger", new you with a little bit MORE than what you had yesterday. The growing never stops and why should it? If life is governed by some infinite source then the growth should also be infinite. I think the societal influences each of us has points us toward where we will end up instead on realizing every moment is it. We have been taught to always look toward the future, make plans for success, get retirement funds going, blah blah. Everyone is constantly focused on some far sighted goal, that they miss out on the little things and experiences that make life so much more meaningful.