jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

ESL teachers, would you want to teach abroad and what do you think are the best

1. Randy M. profile image87
    Randy M.posted 6 years ago

ESL teachers, would you want to teach abroad and what do you think are the best places to teach?

I would like some answers here and some explanations why you would make a choice to work in a specific country.  If you have already taught, please participate in my poll as well on my recently written hub:

http://randy-m.hubpages.com/hub/Teachin … Costa-Rica

2. gramarye profile image60
    gramaryeposted 6 years ago

In my opinion, all ESL teachers should have at least one stint abroad. I worked in Singapore for 7 years and it was a great experience and good money. Middle East would be a great place to go because the "Christian" and "Muslim" worlds need to understand each other much better. - That's my experience anyway. Will now look at your hub.

1. Dr. Arthur Ide profile image76
      Dr. Arthur Ideposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There is little to no tolerance of religious differences; I taught in backward Muslim nations and watched both religions kill each other.  Singapore is ok. Don't go to Saudi Arabia, Lybia, Nigeria, Uganda, etc.

3. buckleupdorothy profile image85
    buckleupdorothyposted 6 years ago

I've been teaching in Turkey for 5 years and found it to be a fun and challenging - and such a wonderful place to live.

4. Dr. Arthur Ide profile image76
    Dr. Arthur Ideposted 5 years ago

I teach "teachers" of English in Peru. The level of expertise is low. While Peru law mandates that a "university" teacher (profesor as it is spelled here) has to have at least a master degree, the majority of teachers have at most the BA or a little... read more

5. MarieAlana1 profile image72
    MarieAlana1posted 5 years ago

China is caling for ESL teachers. They pay very good and treat their students very well. Although this is true, China is a communist country. Therefore, there is the factor of having less freedom in what you teach.

1. Randy M. profile image87
      Randy M.posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have thought of going there for the experience, and I have interests in learning about the culture.

2. Dr. Arthur Ide profile image76
      Dr. Arthur Ideposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Mainland China is a communist country only in name.  Mainland China has millionaires (over 391,000) and billionaires (over 40) according to Forbes http://factsanddetails.com/china.php?it … bcatid=70. It doesn't treat its stud

working