How effectual is the Hippocratic Oath among practicing doctors?

1. Anjili profile image82
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

How effectual is the Hippocratic Oath among practicing doctors?

Is this oath effective among practicing doctors?

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure if this is true in other countries or not, but in the US doctors stopped being required to take the Hippocratic Oath over 50 years ago. The original form of the oath hasn't been used for over 100 years. That said, the spirit in which it was used is still alive today, and some doctors really do practice ethically and put their patients before themselves. Sadly it's not all of them, but there are good and bad just like in any other profession.

3. amvabecreations profile image84
    amvabecreationsposted 5 years ago

Hi Anjili,

In the Netherlands taking the Hippocratic Oath is still part of graduating medical school. It reminds doctors of their responsibilities and the vulnerability of their patients.

As a medical graduate myself I appreciated taking the oath, since helping patients and relieving suffering were the main reasons I went into "doctoring" in the first place.

I view the oath as a very personal pledge. You can't force people to act  in an ethical or moral way, but you can instill a sense of professionalism and pride in their work. The oath reminds me why I choose to do what I do and helps me direct my way through the ethical maze of modern medicine.