jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How many times should you ask a school aged child to do something before discipl

1. Mmargie1966 profile image94
    Mmargie1966posted 5 years ago

How many times should you ask a school aged child to do something before disciplining?

I've heard over and over again, "If I have to tell you one more time, you are in trouble!"  However, I've heard parents say they should only have to ask once.  I'm somewhere in the middle.  What do you think?

2. grinnin1 profile image81
    grinnin1posted 5 years ago

I think that kids can learn to do something the first time, or the 12th time. I think there should be a small consequence put in place if they don't respond the first time. And they should know that will double if mom has to ask a third time, and keep doubling. If mom puts this out there as the rule, and the kids know before hand, then the kids are choosing if they would rather ignore mom and  10 minutes off tv time(or whatever)  or choose to come the first time.
    The other factor though, is mom. If we tell our kids that we're leaving now and then talk another 5 minutes with a friend, we are training the kids not to respond the first time.

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

1. MickS profile image73
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You don't ask, you tell a school aged child what to do.

4. Sold Out to Jesus profile image61
    Sold Out to Jesusposted 5 years ago

Good question! I am more lenient at times, which probably sends the wrong message. Who knows, raising kids is hard. I think every child is different and what works for one might not work for the other. Good luck.

5. ercramer36 profile image95
    ercramer36posted 5 years ago

Br sure that they heard you and only tell them one time and then a consequence follows.  If they still do not listen then a second consequence follows. If you tell them more than once without any action, you are reinforcing that the first time means nothing.