jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Do you believe there should be a life course required in your senior year of hig

1. thelyricwriter profile image94
    thelyricwriterposted 5 years ago

Do you believe there should be a life course required in your senior year of high school?

I know I viewed the world much differently when I was a senior in high school. I had no clue how hard life would be. I believe there should be a course taught in your final year of school that should focus solely on life. Perhaps, it can be focused on jobs, bills, expenses, ect. A crash course on what to expect.

2. profile image0
    Duchess OBluntposted 5 years ago

This is an excellent idea, but how to narrow down all the different things that could/should be taught!  If you can at least cover the basics - it gives them a better shot at "life".  Unfortunately too many parents leave the responsibility for these "life" lessons to others.

3. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

who is going to be the one who decides what life is about ? every person's life is different and their goals are different etc.

1. royalblkrose profile image60
      royalblkroseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

every young person leaving high school should have an understanding of how to budget money, cook, write a resume, handle a job interview, fill out an application, whether it be for a job, an apartment, a credit card, a loan...

4. WD Curry 111 profile image60
    WD Curry 111posted 5 years ago

I don't know how much good it would do, When I was in art school, I became interested in wood carving. It was not part of the curriculum. After graduating, I got a book and read about it. I talked to an old woodcarver or two. The first thing they teach is not to cut across the grain. I got the best Swiss tools that money can buy. I was well prepared for carving wood.

The first thing I did was cut across the grain, "Oh! Now I know what they mean."

Besides, when you are 18, that is the smartest you will ever be for the rest of your life.

5. Thundermama profile image90
    Thundermamaposted 5 years ago

Absolutely! I think it should cover budgeting, resume writing, rental agreements and basic home economics. I know some schools in Canada offer a course like this, but it is not manditory.

6. profile image0
    SJmorningsun25posted 5 years ago

Some high schools do provide such a class. At mine, it was called Consumer Economics. The problem isn't necessarily that the information isn't available; it's that eighteen-year-old kids just don't think it's important yet. They see college as "more time," not realizing that they can start putting those principles to use right away. Rent, bills, resumes, and so forth seem very far away to a high schooler. Trying to convince them that those real-life struggles are imminent is the challenge.

7. royalblkrose profile image60
    royalblkroseposted 5 years ago

yes, I had one in my high school. I found it rather helpful... unfortunatelly a few of my classmates saw the class as one to blow off