jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is Hazing Ever Ok? Rich Ritual or Terrible Torture?

1. brittvan22 profile image80
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

Is Hazing Ever Ok? Rich Ritual or Terrible Torture?

There has been media coverage due to the death of a FAMU drum major. Do you condone it?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6656591_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

no, I think it's horrible and should be banned.

3. brittvan22 profile image80
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

I would agree, when I was in undergrad, I dated a guy who was in a faternity and he showed me the hazing book (the wood book) and O.M.G. I couldn't quite figure out what was on the cover of it and it was someone body part that was beaten until it was purple looking. The book was crazy to say the least. I also had friends that pledged various things and to here the rules and see how they were tortured was sad. They endured all of that for brotherhood or sisterhood, honestly I think to belong. Their were the pros and connections one can make for a lifetime, however not being able to sit, because you took "wood" and you have blisters and you are in too much pain to do so. I will pass on that. Some are however, willing to pay the cost to belong, for me it was too high.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

It is a horrible, barbaric thing.  Group mentality can be scary. I taught my children a lot of things, but one thing I was adamant about and repeated often was: never ever let anyone mistreat or abuse you - ever!  nothing is worth that.

I wish more kids felt that way and would put a stop to the nonsense by refusing to participate or refusing to allow this to be done to them.

working