jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Can I be a nurse and not work in hospitals?

1. blessed365 profile image78
    blessed365posted 5 years ago

Can I be a nurse and not work in hospitals?

If I was to go to school to become a nurse, am I just limited to working in hospitals? I don't really want to be in a hospital setting every day. Are there other jobs nurses can do.

2. profile image0
    Jade0215posted 5 years ago

You could always work in an independent doctor's office, nursing homes or even private homes. You aren't limited but I'm sure they pay would be a lot less than if you worked at a hospital.

1. peachpower profile image61
      peachpowerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's actually the other way around. Hospitals are not at the top of high paying jobs in the US, especially if you're a graduate nurse with no experience. Pay increases are based on years in the trenches (for lack of a better word).

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

You could work in a school, college infirmary, nursing home, hospice care or sell Mary Kay door to door. Studying to be a nurse and having the degree and license is one thing. But people often chose one path and then follow another.

I have had six operations in the past 12 years. I have seen some fantastic nurses. I have seen a couple that I do not want to see again.

Hospital work is hard--pays good but hard. If you want better hours and more free time, look at one of the options I previously mentioned. I was only kidding about Mary Kay--there is always Avon.

1. TDAPharm profile image81
      TDAPharmposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There are plenty options available as mentioned above. You can work inpatient (such as the hospital) or outpatient (which can be in clinics or even visit patients in their homes). School will provide experiences for you to find out.

working