jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do you believe that peer learning is one of the best ways of learning?

1. sriparna profile image80
    sriparnaposted 5 years ago

Do you believe that peer learning is one of the best ways of learning?

Please give some ideas in which teachers can inculcate effective learning through peer interaction.

2. dragonflyfla profile image75
    dragonflyflaposted 5 years ago

That is such a great question and one that I have had the opportunity to explore. I believe it can be good when one student reaches out to help another student with a problem such as math if that student knows how to do the problem but not good when it comes to learning overall.

Peer learning can easily become peer pressure for one person to accept the ideals of the others when there isn't any facts to support the idea. Our schools have moved away from teaching facts, as if this is a bad thing. Students need facts for healthy thinking, exploring, critiquing and etc.....

3. Paul Kuehn profile image95
    Paul Kuehnposted 5 years ago

Yes, I firmly believe that peer learning is one of the best ways of learning.  I have employed it in my EFL classes where some of the strongest students are actively going out of their way to help weaker students.  This is especially helpful when a student can explain to another student in her native language a word or concept I was unable to get across in English.  When I went to college I successfully learned calculus through peer learning exercises, and cemented my knowledge of Chinese by helping my classmates.

1. sriparna profile image80
      sriparnaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I have also experienced this when I was a student, we benefitted a lot from group study. I try and create more opportunities for my students to learn from each other and at both ends, they do a good job.

working