jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

What are the origins of the modern Goth subculture?

1. NathaNater profile image90
    NathaNaterposted 5 years ago

What are the origins of the modern Goth subculture?

2. Deep Metaphysical profile image71
    Deep Metaphysicalposted 5 years ago

Vampires I guess. The idea of vampires as 'blood sucking undead humanoid creatures' originate from the story of 'Count Dracula'. I need not tell you that Count Dracula was written by Abraham(or Bram) Stoker. It was inspired from the life of the Romanian emperor Vlad III or Vlad Dracul III. The story of the 'Blood Countess' or Bathory too left its influence in the Goth subculture. And then there was The Frankenstein Monster, Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde etc. I feel the dark, outcast lifestyles of these mythical beings is the inspiration behind the formation of the Goth subculture. I think modern Goth culture has crossed its barriers as a subculture. It has defined itself as a sufficient cultural entity, able to exist by itself. In short Goth, I'd say, is a combination of  love/romance, horror, denial, pain, outcast lifestyle and old Gothic architecture. Some medieval  age influences are there too. Look at a grey oil painting from 15th or 16th century... you'll find some leads.

1. NathaNater profile image90
      NathaNaterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is fascinating stuff and you've given me some good leads too. Even when I wrote the question and used the word "subculture" I knew it was an insufficient word but I wanted the reader to be able to identify who I was talking about. Cheers!

2. limpet profile image60
      limpetposted 4 years agoin reply to this

merry we meet merry we meet merry we meet
      greetings Darklings
      may blessings to all kindred spirits
      sweet dreams
      the limpet

working