jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Would a powerful non-nuclear explosion look the same as an equivalent nuclear ex

1. UnnamedHarald profile image98
    UnnamedHaraldposted 5 years ago

Would a powerful non-nuclear explosion look the same as an equivalent nuclear explosion?

The British used 450 tons of explosive in a series of mines under the German lines. If they had packed in 20,000 tons, the equivalent of the first atomic test, would the result have looked like the blast at Trinity?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6952631_f260.jpg

2. AlexK2009 profile image92
    AlexK2009posted 5 years ago

The major differences between a nuclear and non-nuclear explosion are that the nuclear explosion creates ionising radiation and fallout and effectively emanates from a point source  as compared to a non-nuclear one. 

I think that if the two explosions had the same energy they would look different because of the larger space occupied by the conventional explosive. I am not sure of the details of appearance but I think the cloud would be broader and fatter.

3. Pavlo Badovskyy profile image80
    Pavlo Badovskyyposted 5 years ago

Even a smaller amount of explosives when blown up will look exactly like nuclear explosion. The question just in size of the "mushroom", I think.... But i never saw anything like that to compare smile

1. AlexK2009 profile image92
      AlexK2009posted 5 years agoin reply to this

As I recall, the mushroom cloud arises when the eject reach a certain layer in the atmosphere, so it will appear only if the explosion sends enough matter high enough.

4. gmarquardt profile image88
    gmarquardtposted 5 years ago

I heard a report that when the Americans used a Fuel Air Explosive over a bunker complex during the Gulf War of 1990, some British ground troops actually thought it was a small nuclear device due to the mushroom cloud that appeared overhead. I don't remember where I heard that though, unfortunately!

5. darkland profile image61
    darklandposted 5 years ago

It depends what you mean by "look like".  The forces in a nuclear explosion, especially one caused by a modern, advanced device are physically bizarre, and so are nothing like a conventional detonation, no matter what the kiloton yield. These devices cause a fission-fusion-fission reaction (or worse) and have strange effects on the point where matter and energy meet. 
    Do they look similar to the naked eye? Possibly, but that's where their similarity ends.

working