jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Has society stripped away your creativity?

1. NC4Life078 profile image86
    NC4Life078posted 5 years ago

Has society stripped away your creativity?

It seems all to often that the more we are indoctrinated into society the more we lose our individuality and creativity. Do you feel you have lost a piece of yourself or do you believe that our culture has brought out the best in you?

2. Silver Q profile image97
    Silver Qposted 5 years ago

I think society along with our decaying school system has been devoiding children of individuality. I feel that if my school had focused a bit more on the arts, many students from my class, including myself, would have done better.

The school system is just creating little clones that will adapt to society rather than change it. So, yes, I think society is actively stripping away creativity from everyone.

1. Ruthcurley profile image61
      Ruthcurleyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

As a teacher these past 28 years, may I say that we are not allowed to be creative any more. We must teach to the state standards. We are not allowed even the slightest deviation from the set scripted curriculum. It is the govenment who blame schools

2. NC4Life078 profile image86
      NC4Life078posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I understand state standards, but, I have came across some great teachers who would teach creatively. Also there are Charter Schools that go against the grain, they often bring out creativity. Having been to both I think it relies on the school.

3. profile image61
    Silkekarinaposted 5 years ago

I think that the culture in England at the time of my upbringing and schooling really did bring out the best in me. I went to school from 1949 to 1962 and I must admit to loving just about every minute of it.We had a set curriculum, but the teachers had a free hand when it came to delivering the class lessons.
    Our classes were interactive, our teachers enthusiastic and most of us wanted to learn as much as we could. We were encouraged to be creative, productive and to think for ourselves
    The second world war was just behind us and the Government  and Authorities were busy recreating the structures of everyday life. They did not have the time nor the incentive to invent useless rules and regulations for schools and the public.
    My home life was simple. Everyone had to pitch in. There was nothing to distract us, no television, no computers, no telephone. no electronics of any kind. We had to rely on each other, the family and the neighbours and where essentials were lacking we had to be creative.
    Nowadays we have to consider carefully every word we say just in case we unwittingly insult someone. Useless Government restrictions are rife in our schools. If children are not allowed to air their feelings how can these feelings be discussed and dissected for relativity in our society. If children are not allowed to think freely and discuss issues on a level playing field (the classroom) how are they going to discover what their peers really think.

We live in an age of Computer Technique. If you have a computer you don't need someone to talk to. However, computers cannot be banned from our society, they are an important part of our culture and industry and every child has one or knows how to use one. Our school children know the technique of bullying, but not the technique of discussion. They know how to mob, but not how to debate. And that last word 'debate' is important.
    We have to know what our peers are thinking. The class has to be a unity not a heirarchy and the teachers have to encourage creativity in debate and independent thinking. Creativity is the essential ingredient of progress and without progress the world and the human race will come to a standstill.

Silkekarina

working