Longevity but poor, or shorter life, but swimming in wealth?

1. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 5 years ago

Longevity but poor, or shorter life, but swimming in wealth?

Would you rather live to 80 as a pauper, or to 55 having enjoyed wealthy extravagence your whole life?  And, just for kicks and curiosity, do you identify yourself as more conservative or more liberal?

2. edmob1 profile image61
    edmob1posted 5 years ago

Hard one this having the benefit of hindsight. In my teens and early 20's did not expect to see 40,well past  that now and quality of life is an issue I am looking at.
    How the individual measures that quality of life is another matter. Mine has been a reasonably healhty life so far but I would rather have gone out at 55 than spend 60-80 in ill health.
    Liberal to hedonistic description.

3. janis8 profile image60
    janis8posted 5 years ago

I don't think of wealth in terms of money. A senior on a fixed, can be very healthy without medicines required. I know. Like Joseph Campbell taught, if we "follow our bliss" all good things follow. I say the happiness comes first with or without money. Happiness equates to health. I know some filthy rich people who are paupers in their souls, and not healthy. I also know very rich people who live as though they are blessed.

I tend to think outside the box regarding most everything, including being either conservative or liberal. It's not always an either/or thing. Presently, the conservative contingent seem to try to retro fit modern life for others. A "liberal" way of thinking seems more open to new possibilities, which feels more inclusive to me.