How do you measure quality of life? Through : Money? House size? Family? Environ

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (53 posts)
  1. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

How do you measure quality of life? Through : Money? House size? Family? Environment? The Arts?

Scientists tell us that, if you can measure it, you can make sense of it. Politicians are always banging on about economics. Does having more money make us happier?  If the answer is no then why is our society built on the principle of profit, individual and corporate? Are poor people always unhappy? Can happiness be measured? Do you measure your quality of life against that of your friends, family, neighbours? What's the most important thing in life?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Piece of mind will only bring you quality of life. You can have all that you have mentioned, but without piece of mind, you have nothing.

chef-de-jourposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Correct. Being content is all important. Thank you.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome.

3. Doanna profile image58
      Doannaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

U welcome

3. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 11 years ago

you've asked a multi-facceted question,.. on one hand we want to measure happiness which is a concept rather than a commodity (eventhough it might be cleverly marketd as one, happiness is not a commodity) and concepts are not measurable,.. thats like asssigning a measurable number to karma (dont say anything, they will market a karma score system soon i'm sure)... and quality is subjective,... one mans quality is another mans garbage,... so how do you measure a subjective?

all that said,.... i personaly measure my quality of life and derive my own hapiness from smiles, my own and those of others,.. the bank cannot reposes memories,... so the big house, fine car, and flush bank account will all eventualy fail me,... but memories can indeed be taken with me to the grave,....

show me what else you can truly take with you to the grave in this world, other than memories and faith?..... so if i waste a bit of my time on my faith, and a lot of my time and money on making memories,.... its an investment,... more should invest as i do,..... the storage industry would colapse... and so would the therapy industry............ its about smiles.

Some great points - the memories cannot be measured because they are uniquely subjective - yes, we can hoard material wealth but it's what we do with it to create positive energy that counts.

4. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

I tend to not compare myself to others, I work towards personal goals and personal bests. With the understanding that each person is different, I know that I cannot compare myself to other people's ideals and also understand that I have the freedom to create my own. I measure my quality of life through a work and life balance as well as good health and the comfort that having excess money can bring. I doubt poor people are always unhappy as anyone of any means can share or bring out laughter or happiness in others or they can find comfort in faith and their efforts towards financial abundance.

This is a modern money based world and the claim that money doesn't matter is not very rational. It may be possible for an individual to measure their own happiness but it appears happiness does not rest completely on having an abundance of money. In some people's minds the most important thing is their children, a sport, a hobby, their work, their faith, making ends meet, etc. The most important thing in life is as unique to each individual as their fingerprint and can change as they go through life.

An eloquent and well grounded answer - in a complex world the fundamentals hardly change - healthy families sharing laughter and care. No politician or scientist would dare to measure these qualities.

5. Jynzly profile image62
    Jynzlyposted 11 years ago

Life is as variable and complex as the individual who lives it. Educators in the academe and various human disciplines such as Philosophers, Psychologists, Sociologists, Economists, Humanities, Linguistics, the Aesthetics, and any other Humanities and Social Sciences, study and continue to make comprehensive researches on the subject Human Being and all its activities in life. We humans are not like machines that can be measured and evaluated by any man-made tools in any form to evaluate and judge the quality of existence and performance in all aspects. Yet there are certain suggested standards and areas in life that need to be pondered on in order to ensure quality life in terms of relationships, wealth, Education, leisure and any other human interests and activities to make life meaningful. Even these disciplines cannot be imposed, they are still subject to individual preferences in running his own life; these individual preferences or choices are by itself difficult to ascertain as original to the individual because one sure basic thing about humans is that they prefer to follow or imitate others in their social group or society than to think and discover what lays down deep in his core.
    Comparing one's quality of life to another as a measure of success and as a "good-better-best" quality of life is ignorance by itself in the truest sense. Each of us can only live life according to our own choices or "non-choices" in a time-space- circumstantial basis and on the availability of resources that one can see. What one sees does not mean that it is all what is there to base one's choices. This world has infinite resources to use and choices available for every need and desire to meet but humans as we are, we can only see what our individual preferences could see.The final judgement can only be seen when one leaves this life and everybody can measure how he had lived his life...it can only be read in his "Book of Life".
    We can only live our lives and be the judge for ourselves. We may ask ourselves questions such as "Am I happy with what I am doing? Am I doing the right thing? What else can I do to meet the goal I set for myself?" and any other questions along this line. No one has the right to say that such person has a certain quality of life because of what others can see. There are lots of intangible things in life in the personal level that are not visible for the rest of humanity to see, let alone judge.

Yes, it's impossible to quantify happiness yet our western political systems exploit us with their facts and figures. I see very poor people in the favelas in Brazil. They fight for their right to live yet seem happy. Great answer.

2. Jynzly profile image62
      Jynzlyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Any country and cultures have their share of facts and figures sociology-economic-political issues in certain and varied degrees. There's no such thing as one culture is better than another because all people are valid so is culture.

6. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

My quality of life is based on my relationships with others. If we didn't have friends ,loved ones,  and community, what would be the point to life?

Interesting that you don't mention material things at all but base your quality on emotional ties to other people, regardless. Thank you.

2. cat on a soapbox profile image95
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

JThomp42 is so right about peace of mind, and we depend on material things, of course. It's just that I would get little pleasure out of "things" if I couldn't share them.

3. Doanna profile image58
      Doannaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me to

7. Globetrekkermel profile image63
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

I don't think you can measure quality of life at all as there are tangible and intangible factors to consider in the measurement. If you base your quality of life in purely physical sense with all the comforts  of material wealth , yes you can probably  temporarily measure your quality of life in that level. But when big problems come and deluge you( like illness,hard driven life style, ie ... recreational drug use..etc )  I doubt if all the material wealth that you have acquired will solve your problems.Will you have a good quality of life then ,even with all your acquired wealth? I doubt it.If you look at the history of a lot of wealthy people, they are miserable.....Having all that wealth is the envy of a lot of  people who has not attained that kind of wealth, but make no mistake about it, it ain't worth a lot of beans. WEALTH HAS ITS NASTY PRICE TO PAY.You may not want to have that kind of wealth after all.

Many thanks, interesting response. It's how we understand happiness that is the key? Some people love precious objects but, like King Midas, find that there's more to life than gold alone!

8. M Zees profile image62
    M Zeesposted 11 years ago

I would just ask myself a question "am i happy and content" if the answer is a big yes then it doesn't matter if my quality of life is poor or great or whatever.
    Happiness should be the key thing we should try and measure, not quality of life.

chef-de-jourposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your input. A smile is worth so much!

9. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

I think that our consumer society is fueled by the myth that one must have more money or more "stuff" to fulfill them and make them happy.  It's great for business, but not so great for self-esteem.  I think many in recent years are coming to the conclusion that they've been duped into believing money and living beyond ones means equals happiness. 

that being said, money can certainly make life easier when you don't have to worry that you can't afford to buy groceries or keep up with the rent/mortgage, but that doesn't equate to "happiness".  Some of the most joyful times of my life happened when I was at my financial worst. 

I truly believe happiness is not an attainment or some distant elusive goal, but a choice.  You can choose to want what you have, to find peace in your life etc.  There is no outer world requirement for joy.

What interesting ideas. Joy is inherent in humans or based on upbringing and material comforts? I'm glad you mentioned credit and the illusive nature of accumulating things.

10. healthyfitness profile image73
    healthyfitnessposted 11 years ago

I measure it by the amount of freedom you have. Not just freedom from the state but the freedom to do the things that truly make YOU happy.
    I think if somebody likes living in a cabin in the woods and it makes them happy, they should have the freedom to do so. Unfortunately a lot of times, freedom has to be supported by money!

Thanks for this. Money seems to underpin many things we base our happiness on.

11. Rose Anne Karesh profile image69
    Rose Anne Kareshposted 11 years ago

I think the major factor influencing quality of life is having good relationships. Money doesn't seem to be it (there's research showing that money beyond a certain amount does not make you happier and can make you more stressed). Health doesn't seem to be it (I've met many unhappy but healthy people and many people who have a lot of physical challenges but are very healthy). Buying things definitely doesn't do it - you get a momentary pleasure from a purchase and then you're wanting more. What the people I see who are happy, the people who seem to have a good quality of life, seem to have in common is good relationships. They have rewarding, engaging, positive, warm and loving relationships with other people.

Also, I don't think measuring your quality of life against other people is a good way to go. It can be very hard to tell from the outside how happy or unhappy someone else actually is, and comparing yourself to others often leads to unhappiness.

It's true - how we value and communicate with others, especially those close to us, is crucial for maintaining strong foundations for happiness.Thank you for this.

12. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 11 years ago

I do not measure quality of life by any of these items on your list. It seems to me that health is the most important thing for quality of life. Without that you really have no quality, and I think that has been shown by millionaires, film stars, actors and so forth, who have all the things you mention, yet are, or have been, desperately unhappy and live lives in turmoil. I find as I grow older that I focus much more on the health side of life, both physical and mental.

In other words, all your items might be nice to have, but without health it is much more difficult to enjoy any of them.

Valid point. If you're sound in mind and body you can do more things for others and that feeds into a positive cycle. Thanks for the answer.

13. Fastian profile image62
    Fastianposted 11 years ago

Contentment. God is the ultimate reality and this world is to end. The highest quality life is spent by a soul which follows not the quality because it has no standards and no ends as is evident from your bunch of questions.

14. profile image53
    Briz Babenposted 11 years ago

Old People used to say about  life: "Its not important how much you live, its important how you live".
    'Quality of life' has different faces depends upon different person. Some people sees quality as "Money - How much you have" . For some "dignity & power". For some its "happiness". For other "success". And for some others its "services - doing good to others". So it varies upon persons. Even in Economics & Finance, Quality of Life is explored on "Income Basis".
    Upto me 'Quality of Life' is the combination of all of these, money, dignity, happiness, success & service. 
    Because after having lot of money, dignity or anything...without 'peace' what is the use.
    Ultimately "Peacefull Life in a good society".

I like your final quote, there's something pure about it! Thank you for participating, and may peace be with you.

15. lissa ann11 profile image57
    lissa ann11posted 11 years ago

money....because quality of life is all about comfort level which can be achieved easily by money. so i think if you have more more quality of life can be raised.

OK thank you for your reply. Money=quality of life! We know where you stand!

2. Express10 profile image85
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I value honesty. After all, you won't be very happy if you don't have money to pay for a roof over your head, medical care, or utilities. People say health but good health also costs money for foods/clean water, health info, Dr. checkups/care, etc.

3. Ceegen profile image69
      Ceegenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But, while money can buy comfort, it can't buy happiness. There are obviously a great many things wrong with this world, that people need money in order to find comfort. I think our problem is more than just skin deep.

4. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

AMEN and in TOTAL, UTTER AGREEMENT!  PREACH ON!

16. Hideki-ryuga profile image65
    Hideki-ryugaposted 11 years ago

Your quality of life can be measured by the way you feel about it. If you are happy, and this is really subjective, it doesn't matter how much you possess whether you live in a palace or in a cave.

You maybe happy because you enjoy what you are doing, and not what you are earning. You maybe happy because you have a wonderful family. So it really depends. Money is important, but the question is are all wealthy people happy? How about money without health. How about money with intricate problems?

The quality of life is measured by the degree of satisfaction you feel about it. If you are satisfied then the quality of your life is great. If you are not then, even if you possess the whole world your life would be void and meaningless.

Thank you for this interesting reply. I am always puzzled because the politicians who run our systems often use facts and figures to measure the happiness of society or a nation. How did this arise I wonder?

17. Ceegen profile image69
    Ceegenposted 11 years ago

Happiness is being content with what you have. If you can't be happy with what you already have, nothing in this life will make you happy.

But the most important thing in life?

I guess that could be argued ad nauseum, as it so often is, but as for me...

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." - Deuteronomy 6:5 (KJV).

Thanks for a thought provoking answer.

18. Santiniketan profile image60
    Santiniketanposted 11 years ago

Hello frnd...
    I think it depends. In this world we all individuals and we all possess different ideas about what makes us happy. Some people happy with their money, some with their family.  So no one can measure happiness from one point. Happiness is need because if we need something and if we get it that’s makes us happy and need is something which keeps changing.

A thoughtful answer. The politicians tell us we need more money, better this that and the other. The system pushes us on in material terms yet what is more important than friends, loved ones for happiness?

2. Santiniketan profile image60
      Santiniketanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hummm...again it depends...friends can also bring happiness in our life and they are loved ones because they are FRIENDS....its just point of view.

19. Jack Wahlquist profile image61
    Jack Wahlquistposted 11 years ago

There is truth, and there is love. The rest is silence.

I live by this. I start with the truth, out of nothing more than absolute convenience. It is far easier to let it be as is than to waste my energy fabricating stories and lies to protect myself. This kind of protection only leads to loneliness and isolation. Instead of that, I show myself completely as is, vulnerable, ready for the world to judge or love.

After that, I put love at the highest importance in my life. If a friend has a serious problem, I set everything else aside for them or try, try as much as I can to support them. I want them to experience the kind of love and happiness that I have fought for my entire life. My home, my friends, they are everything to me. They are better than perfection; they are human.

As for the other things you listed; I give money minimal thought. I don't need it, and more importantly don't want it. I find shopping utterly boring. I don't watch television or read glamorous magazines. The more famous and extravagant the person/event is, the less likely I will be to enjoy it.

People seek out day time talk shows out of desperation for answers. They, many without realizing it, chose to hide themselves out of fear of judgment and rejection. They too, want love. But there is fear in being vulnerable. There is always fear.
    Either you face it, or falter and live a life seeking empty answers from television hosts pandering generic mush to the masses. This is how I measure quality in my life, but I do not judge another. I do not judge people unnecessarily. Ultimately, whatever makes them truly and irrevocably happy is all that matters.

Delayed - apologies. You sound like a faithful friend;that kind of friendship is impossible to measure I grant. What puzzles me is the political speak of our systems (measured economically) versus love, friendship (which can't be measured). Thanks.

20. profile image0
    Edliraposted 11 years ago

Your quality of life, in my opinion, is measured with the quality of your close relationships. They are crucial to being and feeling happy. Our society has got it all wrong, by glorifying the cult of individ. It is the feeling you belong somewhere and are needed and loved what constitutes the nucleus of happiness. No money, success, or any other personal achievement would matter if you had no one to share them with. Personally I believe you get more by giving.

21. Abhaque Supanjang profile image72
    Abhaque Supanjangposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7700517_f260.jpg

To me, the quality of my life, can be measured from my achievement to my needs; physically and mentally, spiritual and material, and social and my own.
    Physically,  I am blessed to be in healthy condition for all my life;
    Mentally, I  can face all thing happen in my life well, not get shocked, not stress, I can solve all problems as they should be, I can live in peace, and so on.;
    Spiritual, I can fulfill as optimal as possible the demands from my religion  (Islam)   to  do which will give its own peace in my mind to go through this life. 
    Material, I can get everything that I need and I want (especially, money).
    Social, I am useful for other people, the more people need me - the higher quality I will reach.
    My own, I can reach all ambition or aspiration or the planning that I have created for the entire of my life.

That's all chef-de-jour

22. phillippeengel profile image81
    phillippeengelposted 11 years ago

The quality of life is really hard to gauge. Money is definitely not the barometer to measure the quality of life because affluence brings its collateral repercussions such as always being discontented and the urge to unscrupulously embezzle their company's revenue. Money is also unevenly distributed. A country's development cannot be solely judged using money.

Well...house size and family may also not be a decent manifestation of one's quality of life. Each and every family has its own rules, and each and every family member has different perspectives about which family size is acceptable.

A surfeit of arts performances and events may not also indicate a good quality of life because the country's economic growth is dubious.

In conclusion, we may have to consider a wide medley of indicators to measure the quality of life. Or we may at least stop doing this measurement and get on with life.

Thank you. I hear politicians who run our systems say 'more money and materials if you vote for me'! Yet as humans what we crave is love and friendship,immeasurable things, no matter the system we're born into.

23. adorablebaby profile image60
    adorablebabyposted 11 years ago

I go by how much i love my life  and it's now very much lol

24. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9002557_f260.jpg

A high quality of life means living without socioeconomic struggle or want. If one is struggling & living at a subsistent level,worrying if one's basic needs will be taken care of,he/she lives in a state of constant worry & anxiety. Money is correlated to happiness. Socioeconomic affluence does make one happier & increases the quality of life.More money equals to more &  better choices. It means living in better surroundings.  It means a better quality of education & more opportunities for one's children. It means better medical, dental, and overall health care.  It guarantees better and a higher quality of nutrition of healthy, wholesome foods. 

Beyond the physical aspects of happiness, have a level of affluence means better mental health.One is somewhat free from financial struggle and the problems it entails.One is more financially independent when he/she is socioeconomically affluent.One doesn't have to incessantly worry if he/she will have a next meal and a warm place to sleep.With socioeconomic affluence, one has further opportunities to save & invest his/her monies, assets,&/or other funds. Furthermore if one is socioeconomically affluent, he/she is not at the behest of others. In addition to that, one has more influence when one is wealthy than when one is ..poor.Wealth carries with it power & a sense of respect.Who doesn't want that?

When one is socioeconomically affluent or wealthy,one can be very choosy & picky when it comes to employment because there's more than enough money to tide him/her over during a socioeconomic drought phase.He/she does not have to worry about being cast in the street,becoming homeless because of either insufficient or lack of funds. He/she has it made in the shade so to speak.So many people when they are laid off or unemployed, are DEATHLY worried as to why they will be NEXT because they have little or no savings.They are in the panic mode because down the road, they may either be homeless or residing in a.shelter.They also have the choice to create their own job or own business if desired or need be.They don't have to wait nor depend upon others for employment.

Those who are socioeconomically affluent have myriad choices & better type of choices.They don't have to take crumbs or handouts.They're in control regarding their lifestyle destiny.They live a human existence instead of living at the lowest common denominator.To any thinking & intelligent person would rather be WEALTHY than poor,only logical commonsense!

1. Express10 profile image85
      Express10posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can certainly agree with you. Quality of life does GREATLY depend on money in our money based society, whether it's a home, education or investments you need money.

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for a detailed answer, full of interesting thoughts.I guess money and happiness are always going to be related in some fashion.Vows of poverty - religious ones- are less common nowadays!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)