jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What is the difference between leadership styles and types of leadership?

1. javid1985 profile image78
    javid1985posted 5 years ago

What is the difference between leadership styles and types of leadership?

2. joyfuldesigns profile image67
    joyfuldesignsposted 5 years ago

When I think of it, types of leadership refers to a person's character or personality.  Leadership style I think about how that person performs his job.  I guess for me it boils down to WHO someone is, and HOW they lead.  Probably isn't the most official definition however.

3. ytsenoh profile image87
    ytsenohposted 5 years ago

A leadership style is a way in which a leader would rule the roost, so to speak--it would be the manner in which he or she would choose to establish a type of leadership.  A leader will develop a specific strategy in which to aim in order to fulfill the desired goal.  A type of leadership is defined by a method which may work for a given leader.  A positive type of leadership will employ positive methods.

4. David Morrison profile image75
    David Morrisonposted 5 years ago

Well...You need to have types of leadership before you can select a leadership style.

5. DeviousOne profile image76
    DeviousOneposted 5 years ago

Essentially it comes down to a question of 'how' or 'the way'. Different leadership styles involve how someone shows leadership, where as types of leadership shows the way one type of leadership is different to another... or rather why would one person appear to be a better leader than someone else, because of the type of leadership.

For example, his leadership style might be very abrupt and direct, where as her leadership style might be passive and cooperative. He might be regarded as a respectable type of leader because of his style of teaching or leading into battle. She might be seen as a passive type of leader because of the way she nurtures her students.

6. Dr. Haddox profile image80
    Dr. Haddoxposted 5 years ago

Since I am short on time and it is 1:17am Middle Tennessee time, for me, I will give you some direction, javid1985, and trust that you will build on my outline, a gift to you.
    Quickly, leadership styles may be classified as:
    1. Visionary
    2. Coaching
    3. Affiliative
    4. Democratic
    5. Pacesetting
    6. Commanding
    Examples of types of leadership includes:
    1. Autocratic
    2. Bureaucratic
    3. Charismatic
    4. Democratic
    5. Laissez-faire
    6. People-orriented
    7. Servant
    8. Task-oriented
    9. Transactional
    10. Transformational
    I would have to write a hub to give you a more complete answer to your question, which actually, is a very good question.
    I am proud of you and your quest to learn.
    My site, if you would like to follow me, is oriented toward three kind of learners, 1. business professionals (or business students), 2. Theologians or religious types, and 3. Medical doctors, nurses, and healers of all kinds.
    I am a researcher, a healer, an education and an agriculturalist. I am fairly busy, as I said above. But if you follow me you will pick up a few pearls, here and there, and you may find my stuff fun to read. In the final analysis, all of this writing and reading is mostly about having Joy and Peace, and enjoying Life as we go.
    Take care javid1985.
    Dr. Haddox

1. ytsenoh profile image87
      ytsenohposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is really a great response.

7. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

I suppose leadership can have a style, but should be dependent upon the times and situations at hand and not an individuals usual methods and manner in dealing with the challenges of a position. Personality is a big factor in how a president or other leaders perform in office. Style is often a reflection of why and who strongly helps put a person in a leadership role, in the first place. Do you find it a little odd of just how some of our major candidates suddenly pop up, out of,seemingly, no where, to become front runners? The people who are chosen to represent the big powers, are carefully examined and chosen to call the plays.