jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are some tips on helping a child develop strong math skills?

1. milleramanda53 profile image81
    milleramanda53posted 5 years ago

What are some tips on helping a child develop strong math skills?

2. TesstheScribbler profile image61
    TesstheScribblerposted 5 years ago

Donuts..I didn't learn algebra well till i used it on days my family bought donuts....I always used it to figure out how many donuts each person would get..

3. ChitrangadaSharan profile image56
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 years ago

I think encouraging the children to do mental sums really helps. Doing calculations in their mind, rather than on paper or calculator  will strengthen their mental ability. Start with small calculations and slowly they will be able to do even the big ones. Formulas should be understood, rather than crammed. Understanding application skills is also very important.

4. JanTutor profile image80
    JanTutorposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7076927_f260.jpg

Repetition, repetition, repetition! I had an amazing maths (I'm English hence maths not math) teacher when I was 8. After repetition came the testing, testing and testing. I have learnt very little maths since my time with Mr Farmer but have employed his method of teaching with dozens of young chilldren - with amazing impact.

My daughter is 4 she can count in tens and understands it, she knows her 2 x table like the back of her hand and can do simple addition and subtraction. She breezes through her 7 year old cousins work books! I also harness her love of baking to help make maths a significant and integral part of her world.

working