jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

If you were comatose, would you want your family to turn off your life-support s

1. grumpiornot profile image71
    grumpiornotposted 5 years ago

If you were comatose, would you want your family to turn off your life-support system and why?

A friend of mine often argues that a medical solution for whatever resulted in a comatose state might be found in the future; hence he would not want the machine turned off...

2. naeemebrahimjee profile image75
    naeemebrahimjeeposted 5 years ago

In a coma you are trapped in your body without any life. Many people in Coma's are aware of what is going on around you, so effectively you have locked in syndrome.

This is not something i would like, or wish on anybody. Honestly I wish my family would turn off my life support in this situation.

Funnily enough I've just written a Poem Hub about this exact topic. Check it out if your bored. I'm not going to spam a link here, but you'll see it if you look at my profile! Just published few minutes ago.....

grumpiornotposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comment - stick the link in here!

3. Lwelch profile image92
    Lwelchposted 5 years ago

I am torn on this one.  I know one lady who was believed to be brain dead do the one in a million and come out of a coma.  I have another friend who was taken off of life support.  In reality I think it is what is best for those around me.  They have to live with the choice more than I.

Sometimes waiting it out works.  If it does, you have to start over again as your body is damaged while you are out.  Our bodies aren't designed for that. 

I also think it depends on the prognosis.  Sometimes you might have a slight chance.  Doctors know from experience.  If I need it short term with the belief I would be off of it someday that is much different than no chance of being off of it ever.

4. WritingPrompts profile image74
    WritingPromptsposted 5 years ago

Unless the doctors thought I'd come around soon, I'd rather have the plug pulled. I don't want to live hooked up to machines and the longer I was "alive" that way, the less likely I'd recover and have a good life after.  I'd also worry about culture shock if I came around after many years went by.

On days I'm inclined to believe in God - I think God's will is whatever happens once the plug is pulled... not for people to be kept alive by machines.

grumpiornotposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks - I had not even thought about the shock when you come round and the world has moved on years; kids are grown up etc.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

It depends.  People often come out of comas.  If I am in a irreversible coma, brain dead etc., the let me go.

6. grumpiornot profile image71
    grumpiornotposted 5 years ago

Hey guys, thanks for the answers so far - was thinking about your various responses and thought I would just add this... I would like to be switched off, amongst other reasons: because I would hate to be a financial burden on the survivors. As I understand it, keeping people alive for years on end is an expensive exercise and I would hate to leave that as a legacy...
    Keep your thoughts coming please!

7. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

no, i still think that there is still hope to come out of coma. With constant prayer and believe in miracle, just hand in there for hope. Hence, don't ever touch that life support system !

working