jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How should we deal with poverty?

1. boyatdelhi profile image81
    boyatdelhiposted 5 years ago

How should we deal with poverty?

2. Rod Marsden profile image75
    Rod Marsdenposted 5 years ago

Education is a good start. There will always be poverty when people have too many children during the good times. Generally speaking, the well off in society average about one or two children per couple and that's it. A good education and health care can be expensive.

3. AlexK2009 profile image93
    AlexK2009posted 5 years ago

Do you mean absolute or relative poverty? 

Since taxes are inevitable one option would be a citizens income, perhaps just short of the minimum wage, that is given to every adult or maybe teenager. This would be tax free and  ensure no one had to go without food, clothing or shelter. It would replace a lot of other welfare payments, so the  budget cost might be neutral.

Another option is to go back to the Bible and have a real Jubilee every seven years when all debts are written off. I am told this is the real meaning of "Jubilee" and read the suggestion that  that was the reason Jesus got a rough reception in his own  region: He upset the landowners.

However poverty is a complex issue and there will doubtless be other solutions proposed, for example land value tax

1. Rod Marsden profile image75
      Rod Marsdenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Increases in world population with there only being so much food that can be grown and only so much drinking water around. Our world is finite. Some people haven't worked that out yet hence poverty.

2. AlexK2009 profile image93
      AlexK2009posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I understand that  at least one nobel prize winner has said there is enough food  for everyone it is just  the logistics of distribution cause hunger.  I assume the same thing is true for other necessities.

3. Rod Marsden profile image75
      Rod Marsdenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What you say may have once been true but times are changing. There are those who look at a map of Australia, for example, and say plenty of land for everyone. They don't know much of Australia is either arid or semi-arid. Also a rising salt problem.

working