If evolution is fact, why are there so many variations of the process?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (34 posts)
  1. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 11 years ago

If evolution is fact, why are there so many variations of the process?

In response to a previous question 6 people gave six variations of evolution:  Several theories involved fish and several did not.  One person discussed migration of lions?  If evolution is true, why don't all evolutionist believe the same theory?

2. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years ago

If you could provide a link...
    In reality there shouldn't be a dispute. Evolution is just mutations causing an observable change in a population.

1. cascoly profile image61
      cascolyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

of course not, and in mlost of the world there's no problem - it's america's right wing fundamentalists that are messing with our schools by pushing this creationist nonsense

3. rusticyeti profile image63
    rusticyetiposted 11 years ago

Because...evolution isn't correct. It is an inadequate theory from the 19th century. The truth is much more complex, and the implications are different.

1. eternals3ptember profile image60
      eternals3ptemberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How so?

2. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Rustic and Eternal.  This, to me seems to be a difficult question, so I have no way of choosing the best answer.  I remember studying neanderthal, cromagnan and some other man in the evolution process; however, they are not mentioned anymor

3. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As opposed to the "inadequate theory" of the 19th Century BC? Actually, Homo Neanderthalenis and other species of humans are still discussed at length in textbooks and by anthropologists. They haven't disappeared.

4. cascoly profile image61

from OP:neanderthal, cromagnan and some other man in the evolution process; however, they are not mentioned anymor

yet another disregard for the facts - numerous articles about neamderthals in the NYTimes in the last yr alone

cascolyposted 11 years ago

maybe you're confusing examples with the fact of evolution -- there are hundreds of examples showing how evolution works - what specifically is confusing about the responses you've seen?

I'm only interested in humans.  I am a creationist.  As far as I know, all creationists believe the same thing.  Evolutionists have multiple versions.

2. cascoly profile image61

not true - most creationists deny evolution for ANY species.  evolution provides a coherent explanation, backed by scientific evidence. creationism's only evidence is the bible or koran

5. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

It's accepted as fact in all societies, except those based on religious extremism. I don't think anyone wants to force someone to accept evolution or natural selection (or mutational DNA evidence, or the fossil record) if they do not wish to accept them. Some people prefer to believe in things and to hope for a higher power. That's natural. But if the question is asked, people are all going to try to answer it the best way they can using various analogies or examples. If you are interested in the subject of genetic mutations and natural selection, I would recommend checking out a few books and studying it on your own. The answers may be more clear.

I asked the question because I'm on discussion groups about proving the existence of God.  Much of the discussion goes into science and evolution.  I wondered if evolutionists were able to explain their belief as they ask Christians to do.

creationists often try to obscure the argument by distorting the defitniion of beliefwhat you miss is that evolution is not a belief but a FACT -- it requires no leap of faith - just logic & rational analysis backed by science.  what do you have?

6. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 11 years ago

Please understand I am not trying to be dismissive of your question, but why don't you read a science book for a more thorough and clearer explanation of evolution?  Just because several people here gave you several different answers on how evolution works doesn't mean evolution is false.  It means you're asking in the wrong place. 

Sure, many people here are experts and/or are educated, but let's be honest, many are not.  If you are seeking a deeper understanding of some scientific theories or natural phenomena, an informal Q&A forum may not be the best place to go for answers.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest for knowledge.

Thank you calculus.  Creationists are criticized for our uniform belief.  I don't understand why evolutionists are so critical when they don't have a unified version.  If it is common sense and should be believed, why can't evolutionist agree?

common sense tells us the sun revolves around the earth - are you really asking us to believe that?  evolution does have a uniform explanation - natural selection thru time based on random mutatuion. what EVIDENCE do you have for your claim?

3. dianetrotter profile image61

I wasn't able to respon to cascoly because of limitations on question.  I created a Hub http://dianetrotter.hubpages.com/hub/If … cessTheHub
      Tonymac, I think I accidently deleted one of your comments.

sorry, your hub just regurgitated all the creationist nonsense i predicted in my earlier hub - you quote ONLY creationist sources of junk science- you have NO EVIDENCE  USING real scientific evidence
      you have yet to present ANY evidence for creation

7. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

evolution is still being understood. we don't know all the facts and we are finding new things out all the time. that is why it makes so much sense, because it is so hard to explain. religion tried to make it simple for simple people but as we grow in intelligence, we realize how foolish the "god" thing is.

The beginning is past.  So it is better to change what one believes every time someone comes up with something knew?  I would think intelligent people would validate their sources before believing them.

how do you validate a myth told by shepherds 2000 or more years ago?  a rational view accepts uncertainty and relies on an increasingly solid fund of evidence

3. nightwork4 profile image61
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

it has nothing to do with validation but rather every thing to do with intelligence. we're smart enough to learn as we go and make the changes that are needed for something to make sense.the bible and god has never been validated .

8. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

Evolution theory itself is evolving! There are many strands. Ask 100 people and you will get 100 different answers! This is the beauty of being human - variety of response! Evolution was proposed after Darwin (et al) discovered through analysis of irrefutable evidence that creation may not possibly be all down to one creator God. And so began the great debate which rages still today and will go on for a good length of time. Or until humanity grows out of a need for faith?

Your question is self defeating in a sense. If evolution is fact.......If? Evolution is a  fact whether created by a God - as you believe - or self created, which on balance seems the more likely. Self created? How can that be? Well, you'd have to explore the realms of philosophy and that also has multiple strands of being.

It seems to me that the religion v evolution/God v Matter argument will continue for a few more hundred years yet.....why?

Evolutionists cannot argue against Faith - there is no common debating ground!!! What I find very hard to understand is a Believer's need to study anything remotely scientific - Faith should be enough shouldn't it? Are you trying to uncover God by stealth?

If truth is your aim then I think you will find it elusive, outside of Faith.

The people at CERN with their Higgs Boson experiments are maybe closer to some form of truth.

hi chef-de-jour, I have no intention of looking any of this up.  Question is related to discussions I'm in.  Believers are directed to read a bunch of stuff.  not enough space to finish.  Rhetorical question from my standpoint.

diane - so you really dont care about facts - you just want to perpetuate an archiac fallacy?

9. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 11 years ago

With all due respect folks, we are expected to accept evolution as fact.  Then we are guided to resources to read about it.  There seems to be a lot of philosopy to it because some are stating 'it could be" or "there are different evolutions," etc.  There seems to be no way to present evolution in a convincible way to skeptics like me.  I don't have time to read books or countless sites on evolution.  Does that make me mindless or dingy?  No!  I have a very full, busy life contributing to society.  One cannot readily identify someone who doesn't believe in evolution.  How often does the subject of evolution come up?  Rarely.  Why spend a lot of time reading about information you really don't need?

1. cascoly profile image61

that's #4 of the top 10 creationist distortions !  unlike creationists, scientists are careful in their languuage and do not make claims they can't back up

btw you're not a skeptic - you dont want to listen or read the answers to your initial questi

2. Robert the Bruce profile image59
      Robert the Bruceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Diane, you mentioned that you don't have time to study evolution (or more likely don't want to). Finding the answers to questions requires reading and study. If you are unwilling to do that, I guess you will never understand evolution.

10. profile image52
    vashttii1posted 11 years ago

Well,consider our planet compared to others. It is just the right distance from the sun for human life, and it moves at just the right speed to be held in orbit. The atmosphere, of a kind found only around the earth, is made up of just the right proportion of gasses to sustain life. Light from the sun, carbon dioxide from the air, and water and minerals from fertile soil combine to produce food for the earths inhabitants. On august 24 and 31 in 1974 page 124 science news addmitted" It seems as if such particular and precise conditions could hardly arisen at random". Earths design has a purpose, that no other planet can mimic. Evolution should be able to reproduce this in other planets if it is the source of earths design, wouldent you think.And  Light from the andromeda nebula can be seen on a clear night in the northern hemosphere. It takes about 2,000,000 years for that light to reach the earth, indicating that the universe must be at least millions of years old. Yet end products of radioactive decay in rocks in  the earth testify that some rock formations have been undisturbed   for billions of years. As science will say these are the facts.

This certainly supports intelligent design.

looks you stole much of this comment  from the Discover magazine website [or one of the several creationist websites with this exact wording]
      http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/disco … t-journal/

3. royalblkrose profile image60
      royalblkroseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@cascoly- Discover magazine is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Disney corporation. and as such, is most focused on making money rather than espousing a particular p.o.v.

objection was most of his comment was a direct quote from elsewhere without attribution

larger question is the quote itself, which most likely is taken out of context - it sounds like a version of the anthropic principle, not support for ID at all

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)