jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Guilty Or Innocent? Innocent or Guilty?

1. kiera305 profile image59
    kiera305posted 5 years ago

Guilty Or Innocent? Innocent or Guilty?

Why if we are told to believe a person is innocent until they are proven guilty, why am I always fighting to prove my innocence?

2. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 5 years ago

Innnocent until proven guilty is a legal issue. One must be found guilty in a court of law to be considered legally responsible. On the other hand, someone can be guilty and still found not guilty in a court of law. The concept of guilty or innocent in our private lives is another story all together. If someone believes strongly that you did or did not do something, then you may have to prove to that individual that you did or did not do what is being accused. If a person continually decides to not believe you when you are telling the truth, then maybe it's time to let that person leave your life.

1. kiera305 profile image59
      kiera305posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are 100% right. The only problem is the one's I find myself justifying my actions and behaviors too are my parents. I wish I could move away so it would be impossible for them to continue to try and destroy me. at 43 years of age, I'm over it.

3. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I like Mitch Alan's answer. I would add only that the legal concept (in British and American law) arose out of a sense of justice exactly because people naturally and routinely decide others are guilty without proof. When this extends to a government finding people guilty of crimes without proof, that is oppression. People continue to be arbitrary in declaring others guilty in general society, but at least the law is designed to be more just.

working