jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Does evolution prove there is no God?

1. jacobkuttyta profile image80
    jacobkuttytaposted 5 years ago

Does evolution prove there is no God?

2. phriot profile image83
    phriotposted 5 years ago

Evolution does not prove that there is no God.  Evolution simply tries to explain why life on Earth is so diverse. It's not as if anyone (anyone serious) is saying "First tenet of evolution: There is no God!"  Where evolution truly conflicts with religion is that, for evolution to be the true mechanism for life's diversity, one cannot have a literal interpretation of the Bible (or the sacred texts of many other religions).  This idea seems to get people all bent out of shape.

1. Rod Marsden profile image75
      Rod Marsdenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I love your answer.

2. phriot profile image83
      phriotposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  I'm a pretty secular scientist-type, but I have close friends and family who are religious, so I think about this subject from time to time.

3. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

It is impossible to prove a negative, so, no, it does not. It does, however, provide a plausible explanation of human existence for those with a materialistic outlook.

4. sdelandtsheer profile image60
    sdelandtsheerposted 4 years ago

Absolutely not! Evolution is the best explanation to the observations scientists make, like genetic, morphologic, behavioural measurements. It shows how diversity arose on this planet and provides a frame to understand many features of natural ecosystems, but it does not try to prove that there is no god. Evolution does, however, invalidate the creationist theses, therefore a litteral interpretation of religious writings.
    There is, by definition, no way to prove or disprove the existence of a god. It is a matter of personal faith.

working