jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Beginning at the turn of the 20th century, have America's wars been primarily ro

1. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 5 years ago

Beginning at the turn of the 20th century, have America's wars been primarily rooted in economics?

The Philippine American War was America's first war overseas. It has been said that the reason for it was primarily economic, at least partly due to fear of China dominating trade in Asia. Some would argue much of the war since that time has had economic roots, even the First World War.

2. S Leretseh profile image61
    S Leretsehposted 5 years ago

I believe the Philippine war, the motive behind it, I believe was to get America involved in imperialism -- something that had gained popularity among industrialized countries circa 1900.

World War I & II were rooted in the preservation of Western Civilization.  Korea & Vietnam wars were rooted in the fact  - and what president Eisenhower warned the populace about - the failure of the US to shut down its war producing industries after World War II i.e. there's no profit in peace. The want, or need, to feed these industries have continued to the present.

NateB11posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I very much agree with you on those points;I think the war in the Philippines was an imperialist venture,and certainly Eisenhower's warning was rooted in fact, and the wars that proceeded seem to prove it.The war industry today certainly shows it.

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Yes, but I would argue that all of America's wars have been rooted in economics--even before the 20th Century. Take our first war as a republic for example: The Northwest Indian War against the Miami Tribes of Western Ohio. That war occured because John Symmes and a number of speculators who bought up tracts of land for sale to pioneers risked losing their investment when it became clear that the land was too dangerous for settlement. The Governor of that Territory happened to be Arthur St. Clair, who was the President of the Continental Congress before the ratification of the Constitution. But he saw to it that the Northwest Ordnance was passed and ensured he was appointed Territorial Governor of the Northwest right about the time he had the army start building forts along the Ohio River. John Symmes was on his three-man legislature/cabinet/judiciary in Ohio. When things got bad, they used their influence to have the army invade western Ohio and crush the Indians after years of fighting. Pretty much all of our wars have a similar story behind them. I recommend reading Marine General Smedley Butler's War is a Racket.

NateB11posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've heard much about Smedley and "War is a Racket";I was wanting to purchase that book.That is a fascinating piece of history,and I suspected as much.There are many facts that point to this: Land-owners control of government,expansion west,etc.