jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How have you handled your son's facination with his "manhood"?

1. danajconnelly profile image71
    danajconnellyposted 5 years ago

How have you handled your son's facination with his "manhood"?

Some boys start earlier than others but what strategies have you used that give them their privacy without embarassing them?

2. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Oh My!! My oldest is 9 and has been messing with it for several years now. When it first started I freaked out expecting it not to start until he was closer to teen years, but after speaking to his doctor we found out some just start out early. I sat my son down at 7 and very openy told him that his private parts were his and his only, BUT that meant no one else needed to see it or see him touching it. I made it clear that it was only acceptable in private and I started knocking before I went into his room. He has aspergers so I had to make sure we didn't freak him out in the process, so I just made it very casual and let him know it was a normal part of growing up that mommy shouldn't see.

3. xanzacow profile image70
    xanzacowposted 5 years ago

I have 5 sons. In my experience, I have found that the privacy talk mentioned by peeples works to some degree, but after that you may as well learn to ignore it. Unfortunately, they never outgrow this, but they do learn to be more inconspicuous about it. Good luck.

4. bubba-math profile image62
    bubba-mathposted 5 years ago

Just let it be if he's only doing it in private. The more you tell him not to, the more he will want to, you know how children are. If he whips it out in front of people, then you might have a problem... Tell him private parts are only meant to be examined in private.