Should we pray that there are no teachers carrying guns in schools and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

Should we pray that there are no teachers carrying guns in schools and why?

Should teachers carry guns? I beg the public to urge boards of education to have an armed guard, and not teachers.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7422943_f260.jpg

2. Georgiakevin profile image59
    Georgiakevinposted 11 years ago

As a teacher and as one who believes in the value of gun ownership  I am in favor of praying that no teacher carries a gun. I have taught special education for 15 years in  3 states. I have guaranteed that my students and staff will always be safe. To keep that guarantee I have lost two teeth, been hit countless times hard enough to see stars 6 times, spit at, bitten, kicked and had 2 ribs broken. I had my life threatened by a student who was mentally ill. I have stopped fights, and prevented fights from being started.  While doing that I have also changed unknown numbers of pullups, administered meds and taught students how to eat. We are also expected to teach students morals,right from wrong, done mountains of paperwork oh and while doing all of that I have taught life skills and academics to students who find learning very challenging.

My attention is on so many things, though I can shoot a gun and sometimes even hit what I am aiming at sometimes but to use a gun as a way of protecting my students I would have to be able to focus on the gun than I have time for. In addition a good owner does not keep a loaded weapon where students or anyone else for that matter could borrow it or steal it. By the time I could load my gun it would be too late to use it as a way to defend my students. I have enough to focus on.

I always go to school willing to put my life on the line for  my students and staff. Sometimes I have been called to do just that. Thank God I have not had a loaded weapon to consider.

whonunuwhoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A heartfelt answer my friend and your experiences mirror my own as well as the troubles we all have already in classrooms. whonu

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

Georgiakevin gave an excellent explanation. I would like to take it one step further. If a teacher has a gun, and the intruding shooter, suspects the teacher is armed, guess who is going to be the first victim. Next, we require teachers to earn college degrees, take enrichment courses, etc. Are we going to require that they take courses in shooting and eliminate the teachers who fail to hit the target as being a menace to the safety of our children.

Finally, as I stated in another answer, how many teachers are going to be willing to take the "kill shot." Holding a gun will not scare a person who expects to die. Attempting to wound him could end up hurting a student. Do we really, want to put our teachers in the position of having to make the split-second decisions on whether someone is an armed gunman, or just a not-so-neat looking parent looking for his child's classroom?

1. Georgiakevin profile image59
      Georgiakevinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are spot on with your comment Larry

4. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

A Texas father stolled into his daughters public school and said, "I am a gunman" to the greeter. The greeter froze in shock and the father was able to continue on his way in the school down to the offices. He encountered a few other individuals to which he said, "I'm a gunman. You're dead, you're dead". Finally, after shocking everyone, he explains it was a test to see what the school would do if a gunman had entered the location. He demanded to speak to the principle.
    If this guy, a father, can walk into a school without a weapon and get that far, I'd say every teacher needs a gun. Luckily in my area, some of the gun ranges are giving free shooting and training sessions to teachers and educators.

And that will help how?

2. lburmaster profile image71
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

By helping teachers be prepared to protect their students.

3. Georgiakevin profile image59

So what data supports this as a solution?

4. lburmaster profile image71

There is none because we've never done a test with it. I think we should have a test round, because what we are doing isn't working well.

5. Georgiakevin profile image59

As a teacher who works in the trenches and a responsible gun owner I believe that this will create a lot more problems. Should fire departments, movie theater employees and post offices also be armed?

6. lburmaster profile image71

Fire departments aren't armed?! Movie theater and post office, I don't believe should be. They aren't common targets. I expected more from fire departments. A criminal will think twice about fighting a place where he knows there will be guns.

7. Georgiakevin profile image59

Or maybe he will shoot first so he removes any chance of being shot at. If he comes in to my classroom I am teaching even if I have a gun in my belt. Who gets of the first shot?

8. lburmaster profile image71

Common sense, the teacher. At least one has to die so the others know there is danger. There is no fool proof system, but this will prevent the numbers of students and teachers being killed.

9. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Schools should not let people walk the halls. Many schools require parents to check in and get a pass. That they wear. If someone sees a person without a pass, the police should be called.

10. lburmaster profile image71

I agree, Larry.

11. Georgiakevin profile image59

You need to observe teachers and how much is involved  in educating our children. I don't care how good a shot I am the odds are against me shooting first. This would make things worse not better.

5. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

What if one of those he greeted with this message pulled a gun and shot him down?

I think of that too.

6. Missy Mac profile image67
    Missy Macposted 11 years ago

Great question!  I would not have became a teacher if It was mandatory to carry a gun.  An educator has to make thousands of decisions each day regarding learning and behavior, safety and assessments.  I would like to see public educations find more money for security in the building.  Teachers are already on the front lines in a figurative sense and carrying a gun will change our roles.

Our school district talks a good game but they aren't willing to spend  money on improving the building where I work because it's so old and in the next 3-5 years a new or remodeled school will replace the current one so we stay vulnerable to attack.

7. ladybluewriter profile image68
    ladybluewriterposted 11 years ago

What values are we teaching that teachers must carry guns? What happened to the games that we stand against in violence or inappropriate behaviors? Are we not telling students a teacher can become violent just like the person who commits the crime.  How is a teacher's judgment to shoot down a student with a weapon appropriate at any time. Personally after having taught children with behavior and conduct disorders as well as students that have been bullied over the edge, then it scares me to think a teacher can decide life or death for someone. I would rather see identification of children in need of help before this happens, and the stopping of bullying to the point it causes a child to go over the edge.  I say leave protecting the school in the hands of the administration, who should guard and watch over the students and teachers, and hire those in public or private schools that are trained in defensive skills.  What if I had shot and killed a student that walked in my kitchen in home economics and was bullied to the point he thought his only self defense was to pick up a knife and threaten to kill other students. Folks it happened.  As a teacher I had to talk that knife off that 14 year old boy. He was pushed and ridiculed for having bosoms. He had a XX chromosome problem he was born with. I could not change what happened, but I could say to the ones doing the bullying that pushing someone to that link tears them up inside.  I was scared i admit, but I gave my students support and that is one time I had to rely on the inner feelings of what I had shown to that child. Should I have shot him down and asked questions later on? I think not. ......Over the course of 29 years in education and the multitude of problems with special needs as well as conduct disordered and children of homes that are dysfunctional, then I think working on socialization skills and values education is definitely needed. Would I want my students to be afraid of me with a gun? How much are they going to learn from you then? I look back on the students that had severe problems, and now know that teachers have to show the way. It is not the way to crime and distrust.

whonunuwhoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing your experiences and saying what needed to be said, ladybluewriter.

2. Georgiakevin profile image59

Your comment is spot on! Every teacher has their horror stories. Once time I was told by a student that he was hearing voices telling him to kill me. What if I had a gun & shot him?  He was mentally ill. He needed help not hurt.

8. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 11 years ago

Excellent question, Who.  To have to have armed guards or policemen is bad enough.  Heavens, we’re beginning to look and act like certain parts of the Middle East.   But teachers?  Absolutely not.  When I heard that broached as a possible solution (janitors were another – no offense to Ohio), I just cringed, and for all the reasons stated here.   I mean, are they mad or just not thinking?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)