jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How many students do you think should be in an elementary school classroom?

1. Rosie writes profile image88
    Rosie writesposted 5 years ago

How many students do you think should be in an elementary school classroom?

Education has changed quite a bit over the years.  There is a huge emphasis on testing and improving students' scores.  During my 13 years of teaching, grades 3, 4, 5, and 5th grade gifted, every general education class size has been between 26 to 33 students.  From my experience in working with small groups, I feel smaller class size in elemenatary school is key to better student performance.  What are your thoughts?

2. Paul Kuehn profile image93
    Paul Kuehnposted 5 years ago

I am teaching EFL in Thailand at a private school to 5th graders.  My smallest class has 27 students and the largest has 42.  The smaller class of 27 is easier to teach, but it is still too big to give individual attention to all of the students who need it.  Ideally, I would like my class to have 12-15 students.  This probably will never happen, because the school will not be making very much money with smaller classes!!

Rosie writesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow, 42 students seems outrageous.  It must be very challenging.  Thanks for sharing and for your input.

3. donnah75 profile image97
    donnah75posted 5 years ago

I am a high school teacher, and I think at that level around 18 is an optimal number. I think a bit less for the little ones would be best. I have watched class sizes increase as budgets decrease. We are not going in the best direction when it comes to this area.

Rosie writesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree.  There are also a higher number of children who have emotional and attention disorders. Dealing with behavior issues takes up instructional time. Thanks for sharing and for giving your opinion.

working