jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Should I register my daughter for the pre-K program at her childcare or her brot

1. ravenlt04 profile image65
    ravenlt04posted 5 years ago

Should I register my daughter for the pre-K program at her childcare or her brother's elem. school?

2. TripleAMom profile image87
    TripleAMomposted 5 years ago

There are a lot of things to consider here.  Will you save money with either situation? Will there be less travel involved?  What is the curriculum like in the childcare pre-K vs the elementary school, and will she be ready for Kindergarten at the elementary school if she continues at the daycare?  Does the childcare Pre-K have an academic component or does it continue to be a preschool setting with more play?

My kids are in a private school that have a pre-K program but Florida has a free voluntary Pre-K program.  Many families struggle to decide the same thing when having an older child in the school and a child going into "K-4" or Pre-K.  Some things that they consider are the fact that the VPK programs around are free, hence saving money and the children are famiiar with the settings and the teachers if they have been there previously, but putting the child at the older child's school saves on gas/transportation, allows the parent to have one school to be involved with, and the curriculum follows from year to year, so the children in Pre-K are being made ready for Kindergarten in the school.  Also, your younger child might be more ready to begin Kindergarten if she learns the school in Pre-K. 

Just some things to consider.  It is a difficult decision, but in the long run, I would think that either option would work for the Pre-K year just as it has in previous years, knowing that in Kindergarten you won't have to worry about making a decision.  The socialization and academic readiness that she will be getting will be a benefit no matter what you decide.

ravenlt04posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks gypsumgirl, duffsmom, and TripleAMom for your responses! I an a teach too but not at the elementary level. The costs will be the same. I would only have to make one less stop by taking both kids to one location.

3. gypsumgirl profile image86
    gypsumgirlposted 5 years ago

I would register your daughter at her brother's elementary school.  As a former teacher and principal, I would say that the more consistency there is, the better.  If your daughter is eventually going to go to the same elementary school, then you may as well register her there at the same location.  Consistency is best for children, in my humble opinion.  Good luck!

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I agree with gypsumgirl, the school program would be the one I would use. I also feel that often people are well-meaning in wanting to teach children, but they may not have the proper education or understanding of how a child learns.  Teachers go to college and student teach for a reason, and they are best qualified to teach children.

In Georgia, where we live, the Pre-K teachers at the childcare center have the same qualifications as those at the elem. schools. All Pre-K prgms are funded by the same dept unless private. My friend teaches Pre-K at a childcare & seems to teach

5. tirelesstraveler profile image80
    tirelesstravelerposted 5 years ago

We gave one of our sons a bonus year.  He went to pre-K at his preschool/care program as a very young kindergartener.  Then he went to his brothers school the next year. The expectations in CA for kindergarteners are high.  They are expected to read on going into the first grade and there is no way that little boy could have sat still.

smile We definitely have to know what each individual child can and can't do.

working