jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does online degrees has any value?

1. tnvrstar profile image74
    tnvrstarposted 5 years ago

Does online degrees has any value?

Nowadays we can see many online degrees available for graduate students. Do these degrees have any value?

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image97
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years ago

Yes, definitely!  Online and distance education used to be less recognized, but now even major universities are adding distance programs. With our entire culture connected electronically, online courses can't be overlooked any longer as a major vehicle for busy people to continue their educations.

One of the benefits of online programs are the flexible hours and the ability to connect people all across the world. People serving active duty in the military can still take courses, and people can continue to work full-time while they get a degree.

Employers definitely recognize online degrees and accept them as meeting the education requirements for a job.

3. brianrock profile image87
    brianrockposted 5 years ago

Yes and no.

In terms of fulfilling requirements, then they definitely have value. As a teacher in NJ, for example, I earn a higher salary for having a higher education. Doesn't matter if I got the degree online at Phoenix or if I went down the road to Rutgers. [Note: I earned my Ed.M. and I'm working on my Ed.D. in person at Rutgers]

In terms of "learning" value for yourself, it depends entirely on what you put into it. If you're not highly motivated and you don't have an intrinsic interest in the topic, then you can skate by in an online class more easily than a small, face-to-face graduate course. That's fine if you just want a line item on your resume, but that's not good if you actually want to learn something. On the other hand, if you're highly committed and involved then you can learn a lot in an online class.

In terms of hiring, I would put preference on a traditional university. If I was looking at resumes and I had to choose between a candidate with a Masters from Rutgers and one from Phoenix, I'd interview the one from Rutgers first. I wouldn't make the hiring decision based solely on that, but in a large pool of applicants it's important to get noticed and get interviewed. That's also not to say that everyone in a hiring position would act the same. The trouble is, you never know who's going to read your resume and everyone has their own biases and opinions.

4. profile image0
    Sam Gurschickposted 5 years ago

Yes, though tempered with the understanding that a graduate degree awarded from a traditional university probably carries more weight.

A significant number of both undergraduate and graduate students choose an online education because of the difficulty in attending school in a classroom, be it because of their work schedule, distance to a school, or family commitments. Additionally, most professional continuing education within a company is likely achieved through distant/online learning. I don't think distant learning has the same stigma that it once did.