jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What are some interesting facts about the rivers of the world?

1. midget38 profile image92
    midget38posted 4 years ago

What are some interesting facts about the rivers of the world?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

The largest river is of course the Amazon river. The second largest is the Congo in Africa.

3. atechwiz profile image72
    atechwizposted 4 years ago

Idaho's Salmon river canyon is one-fifth of a mile deeper than the Grand Canyon and for approximately 180 miles is more than one mile deep.

4. Daisy Mariposa profile image88
    Daisy Mariposaposted 4 years ago

Michelle,

I'll be giving away one of the answers in my "United States (US): Geography Quiz," but...

At 201 feet at its longest constant point, the Roe River in Montana is the shortest river in the United States.

5. Sneha Sunny profile image83
    Sneha Sunnyposted 4 years ago

River Ganges is a holy river for Hindus. Originates 14,000 feet above the sea level from the gangotri glacier on the southern slope of Himalayas.
    It is believed that Ganges was called from heaven to render people sin free. About 60,000 people take a holy dip everyday in it!
    In Hinduism, the ashes after cremation is released in Ganges- a compulsory procedure.
    Although it is very much polluted now- due to sewage etc. I must say people are so careless about our mother Nature!

1. Rod Marsden profile image75
      Rod Marsdenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The last sentence is too true.

6. Rod Marsden profile image75
    Rod Marsdenposted 4 years ago

One thing hinted at by other wtiters here is the fact that many of the world's rivers are in trouble because of humans.

The Murray Darling river system in Australia was dying because of extensive irrigation. It has recently been revived by plenty of rain but, even so, species of bird and animal dependant on the free flow of the river and what had been swamp land created by it have dropped alarmingly in mumbers.

My favourite river, the mighty Clarence of northern New South Wales, used to boast the best fishing. Now it is almost fished out due to trawlers being allowed into the river. Many of the trawler fisherman would welcome enforced legislation that keeps them all out of the river so that fish can have a chance to breed there before going out to sea. It may, however, be too late. The fishing licence introduced some twenty years ago doesn't seem to help much.

As for the Amazon, it really does break my heart the plans there are for limiting it as  a river. Dams are being built all in the horrid name of progress..On a documentary recently I saw the catching of this mighty fish along the Amazon. The very idea that this mighty fish and others might well go extinct just so that some lousy city might have fresh water sickens me.

7. MrsBrownsParlour profile image88
    MrsBrownsParlourposted 4 years ago

I thought that the Nile River was the only one that flows north, but a quick fact check before answering (and I'm glad I did!) taught me that it's rare but not unique. There are some others: http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/riversno.htm

working