jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Why do some parents raise their children to be completely submissive and risk av

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Why do some parents raise their children to be completely submissive and risk aversive

automatons?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8015189_f260.jpg

2. SylviaSky profile image95
    SylviaSkyposted 4 years ago

They are trying to build a hard shell around the children to protect them from the world. However, it disables the children. They become victims and anyone who wants to can manipulate them.

1. profile image52
      pinapple123posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I am living proof of that. Until I got into therapy that is. Now I am assertive, sometimes to the point of rudeness, but this is rare. However, I offer no apologies. Rude however bad it may seem to others, is better than being a doormat.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

It's a tough balancing act for sure!
    I grew up in a era where it was common for parents to whip their kids if they got out of line, questioned parental authority, rolled their eyes, or didn't jump on any request that was made of them. A child raised under a roof with a lot of yelling, cursing, and physical punishment is not likely to be very outgoing nor feel comfortable with confrontation outside of the home. It stunts their personality growth and effects their self-esteem.
    In my own situation I learned to play my mother's game of behaving the way she wanted me to as I silently counted down the years, months, and days until I went away to college. Once I got there I "re-invented" myself! I rarely went home during breaks and when I left school I moved 2000 miles away. It took me many years to learn to put my childhood aside and give credit to my mother for some of the good things.
    Today I look at a lot of young people that curse out their parents, disrespect teachers and adults in general. A lot of parents try to be "friends" with their kids and there simply are no boundaries. I chose not to have children but I wonder if I had would I've been more like my mother. I can't see myself putting up with a lot of crap.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

DashingScorpio - I too grew up in a similar environment, and have chosen not to have a family as a result. What you see today is merely the flip side of the same coin; immoral parents who, rather than shut their kids up, simply teach them nothing.

2. profile image54
      abt79posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Without risk a child will be unable to deal with challenging situations in the future. With too much risk, the child will be dead. Everything in moderation.

working