jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think a substitute teacher should be paid?

1. collegedad profile image77
    collegedadposted 4 years ago

What do you think a substitute teacher should be paid?

I've been subbing for a while now and really enjoy it. The topic of pay came up in the teacher's lounge the other day. The teachers were quite upset that subs were only paid $60/day to maintain a classroom. They felt that this was quite low as in Michigan you must complete 90 college credits before you qualify for a subbing permit.

What do you think substitute teachers should be paid?

2. missolive profile image95
    missoliveposted 4 years ago

First and foremost, I'm glad to hear you enjoy subbing.
    As for the rate, that does seem too low, it comes out to $7.50 an hour (8 hour day). Aside from the responsibility, the requirement of 90 college hours should be considered when evaluating the rate of pay.

I'm in South Texas, last I checked (it may have changed) our certified subs get $110 a day and non certified subs get $90 a day. Incidentally, most of our certified subs are retired teachers.

With that said, I'll throw in another rate -
    Summer school teachers make $23 an hour.

I'm curious what the rate of pay is for others and look forward to following this question - thanks for posting, MissOlive / Marisa

1. collegedad profile image77
      collegedadposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the response missolive. A friend in a neighboring county receives $89/day.

3. Yla Pamfilo profile image76
    Yla Pamfiloposted 4 years ago

I can't answer it exactly how much.

Well it depends upon the credentials of the substitute teacher. Aside from permit and academic qualifications, experience is also considered. The HR of the school also looks at that so it is expected that there'll be variations in salary.

On the other side, the income of the school and the allocation of budget should also be considered by the teacher applicant. If the school prioritizes teacher wellness and satisfaction, then expect a higher salary, if not then... expect the other way around. Hope this helps. xxx

working