jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you know that if more buildings were dome shaped, more people would survive s

1. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 4 years ago

Do you know that if more buildings were dome shaped, more people would survive severe storms?

Why might domed buildings be more structurally sound and resist wind pressures much better than conventionally designed homes and buildings?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7026186_f260.jpg

2. e-five profile image95
    e-fiveposted 4 years ago

Yes, but it's harder to hang pictures on rounded walls.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Yes, I've known about that from living in Florida. The round form makes it easier for the wind to pass by the building instead of the sharp 90 degree angles of corners that take the wind head-on. It's quite simple. But I hate round rooms.

4. kj force profile image72
    kj forceposted 4 years ago

Because marketing denotes what we as society will accept....Domed structures are probably the safest ...but would probably be the most expensive...as they would have to be a form constructed shell , possibly with more knowledge and training. This type of construction was tested back in the 60's-70's and several bldgs were built....why they never furthered is not clear...I believe one was called
    " Xanadu " ....It takes someone very strong and powerful to sway the traditional style of construction....we have an underground dome house not far from us....with a grass / flowered roof ...surrounded by Palms and Tropical foliage..I think it is beautiful...but not all feel the same way...it occupied by the same person since it was built...back in the 70's....since it is on acreage, not too many people are aware of it....I personally like the idea...and yes I feel storms would not affect such construction shape....great question...

5. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 4 years ago

Thank you for your well received answer my friend. whonu

working