jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Is the ability to speak at least one additional language, to mother tongue, flue

1. Mabalani profile image74
    Mabalaniposted 4 years ago

Is the ability to speak at least one additional language, to mother tongue, fluently, important?

In Briatin there's a great reluctnace to learn and speak other languages.  I like a know how many people in the community are bi/multilingual

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8068833_f260.jpg

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 4 years ago

I never bothered to learn to speak any other language.  Why should I, I have no desire to visit other countries, and if people want to come to England, they should have the good grace to learn the language first.

Mabalaniposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your honesty. But you forgot to add that the globe was once 3/4 pink, which meant Brits didn't need to learn anybodies language. Then, as now, only the learned borther.  The French held similar attitudes, due to owning the last 1/4.

2. MickS profile image70
      MickSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What colour the globe was is irrelvent as I have no desire to visit other countries anyway and anyone coming to England should learn the language, it's rude not to.

3. Mabalani profile image74

True, and point taken. But I was NOT thinking of people coming to Britain but about things like concept formation and whether there are any benefits that acrue with acquiring additional languages.  That's all

4. MickS profile image70
      MickSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes there are certain foreign to English words that have specific concepts with no English equivalent.  English is so flexible, we do what we have always done, absorb the word into the language.

3. josters profile image83
    jostersposted 4 years ago

I certainly think it is. I kind of had to, as English is not my mother tongue, but I think it broadens your mind in every way. It's very satisfactionary when you read a text in a foreign language and are able to understand it, when you can talk to people in their own language, it's just more communicative.
    Besides German and English I can also speak French fluently and get a word in Latin here and there.

Thank you for your gracious answer joster. I agree with you whole heartedly, but maybe that's made because English is also not my first language.
      We don't learn the rudiments of English grammar in British state schools; not in the '70s anyway

working