jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is being a pessimist or optimist genetic?

1. Sydney Lecher profile image60
    Sydney Lecherposted 4 years ago

Is being a pessimist or optimist genetic?

2. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 4 years ago

I dont think so. It's a matter of attitude and how you view life. Many people are able to change their attitudes and look at life from another perspective. I know I personally tend to be more pessimistic in certain area's than others. Like when the gov. runs any kind of program or anything like that I'm am very pessimistic as to how it will be run. so its based on situation in a way as well.

3. gpishev profile image62
    gpishevposted 4 years ago

Yeah It can be genetic,but it can change. The influence from the parents on their kids is a major factor about the self development in my opinion. However every person has the ability to change and adapt. Anyone can become an optimist if that person chooses so and do whatever it takes to change himself/herself.

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

I believe (environment) and one's (past experiences) effects how positive or "hopeful" they are about their future prospects. Hanging around pessimistic people will cause you to become pessimistic. Focusing on what is "wrong" instead of what is "right" in the world will also bring you down. It requires work to stay positive in a world where negativity grabs the headlines and spotlight to sell or get high ratings.
    We get to (choose) our own thoughts and determine what to focus our energy on. We also get to (choose) our own friends, lovers, and spouse. This is why we can say, "You are responsible for your own happiness." Whether one is pessimistic or optimistic is based upon how they limit (their) options in a world with infinite possibilites.