jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (36 posts)

The Future of Humanity

1. ChapmanHester profile image75
    ChapmanHesterposted 7 years ago

The most important mission that ought to be undertaken by humanity is the preservation of the most basic of our planets achievements in evolution and existence.  We should take it upon us to preserve these achievements including but not limited to the genetic material of life and the knowledge and history of humanity.  If humanity were to cease to exist on this planet what would be left behind to tell the story of our existence?  We are the only life on this planet that is able to actively preserve the history and truth of our existence for posterity should a day come where we can no longer provide it ourselves.  There may not be any life out there in the cosmos, but the chances are that we are not alone and that just as we are looking to the stars for life, other civilizations in the vastness of the universe may be doing the same.  With that in mind, with the vastness of our universe the distance may be too far for life to even get to us before we are gone.  If we want to survive as a species and carry our genetic material throughout the cosmos we should develop a way in which to send out a modern day “Noah’s Arc”.  It would be naïve to think that we are alone in the Universe, and even more so to think that we will live forever.  In the presence of uncertainty about our own existence, our place in the universe, and the unknown threats we face, as a planet is it not prudent that we take a course of action that in some small part will live on, even if we do not?

1. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to attempt to convey my knowledge of your post and try to get you to realize, for what you ask? The question you ask has a profound quality of it, but fails to actually convey a future.

The steps Humankind faces is multiple thousands times greater than ever realized. The time for a new way of thinking has arrived. It dictates that more and more people become self-responsible for their own actions and to realize that their actions, however, trivial has a consequence on someone else's life. The world is one huge interconnected marketplace, where business can shop for consumers and consumers can get anything they want for a price.

The evolution of Humankind is the expansion of the mind and not to the stars. We barely grasp our own reality, it would be prudent, to get more people on the same page, before reaching for the extreme advancement. It requires integration of society, to bring about full and complete travel among the stars. If you have any understanding of society and how people are, then it would be come obvious, what is needed. But, if you can't grasp the entire concept, then you will have a link in the chain, but not the whole chain and your idea won't be integrated enough to work.

Just a thought. Thank you for posting an interesting topic, but then again, I don't agree you that it should be the direction humanity goes in.

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I was going to say that lol rats.

2. ChapmanHester profile image75
        ChapmanHesterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

To be honest, all I'm doing is trying to broaden peoples limited perspective and wake up to what the future could be.  All things are possible if we as a people put our minds to it.  We have feared speaking out for so long and now we have a chance, each one of us and we should speak out in one voice that we want to live, free of fear, free of ignorance, free of someone dictating how our futures will unfold.

3. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Cags:
        " It requires integration of society, to bring about full and complete travel among the stars."
        Absolutely!
        The potential does not exist that man, as he currently exists, can realize an "...integration of society...."
        Chapman is young and apparently doesn't realize that what he would like to see happen, is naught but idealism at its peak.
        Chapman, "humanity" can do nothing but become more and more fragmented as uncontrolled population growth continues. Along with that growth, human deprivation, pain and suffering will increase, causing greater fragmentation.
        It would be wonderful and a "miracle" if man could come together and work in concert for his survival. The possibility of that miracle happening lies only in the land of "idealism."
        Mankind cannot continue to exist as it is today.
        There will be a massive catastrophe in the near future that will reduce our numbers and regress, the majority of those who survive, to the level of stone age man.

2. ANTI-CRUSADER profile image57
      ANTI-CRUSADERposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There is absolutely no need to take anything like that upon ourselves. That's not the basic aim of mankind. The basic aim and objective of human is to worship and obey Allah which will ensure peace of mind as a whole. It's right that we are not alone in the universe but thinking that we can preserve ourselves is wane despite Allah informed clearly that one day the whole universe is going to an ultimate end. We can not escape end of time. The need of the hour is to recognize and obey Allah which will bring about the ultimate peace. The Prophet Noah's (peace be upon him) arc was established just because of the arrogance of his people who stood against Allah. If they had followed what Noah (pbuh) preached then absolutely there was no need to build the arc. The flood came as a wrath upon them.

1. peterxdunn profile image61
        peterxdunnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Talking about Noah's ark - I saw this documentary on the TV in which they interviewed a shipbuilder who specialized in wooden boats - after looking at the dimensions of the ark, along with the materials it was supposedly made of (information included in the Bible) he said, 'Nah, this would break in half the minute you tried putting it in the water'.

I apologise for posting off subject.

But if mankind is going to survive into the next millenium religion is one of the things that he just got to learn to live without because religious differences constitute about half the reasons (its all economic war really - rich versus poor) men fight wars.

1. profile image0
          china manposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Where on earth did you find this ancient post ?

I would not put too much faith in tv wooden boat builders if I were you - I raised a huge concrete ship (Mulberry harbout caisson) from the seabed in my marine engineering days - I did the mass/volume/lift/time calculations in about ten minutes on a scrap of paper.  The company employed a marine architect and paid him thousands of pounds to say that it was impossible.  I raised it in one day and watched it towed off to be re-sunk in a new home somewhere down the coast of Ireland.

1. peterxdunn profile image61
            peterxdunnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I thought the Mulberry harbours were all blown up when no longer required towards the end of WW2. Obviously wrong. Fantastic subject for a hub though - I'll have to check yours out.

I found this hub just noodling around here on hub pages - a lot ( but not all) of the newer stuff doesn't strike me as being very interesting (personal relationship stuff with abbreviations eg mbf ditched me wot can I do to get im bac - kind of thing).

The guy I cited on the post was an actual hands on boat builder who specialized in all wood construction - not an architect.

The story of Noah's flood was nicked from the epic poem Gilgamesh anyway.

regards

2. profile image0
    zampanoposted 7 years ago

Well, my boy. Threats are not as unknown as that.
    We know them well enough.
    Threats are us. hehehe
    It sounds like advertising...
    So, either we take that attitude... or not.
    Consequences are more and more apparent.

I just have a view and I want to share it, thank you for responding.  I hope whatever happens with humanity that there will be a bright shining future, but I like to think ahead and prepare for anything to happen.

3. SandyMcCollum profile image72
    SandyMcCollumposted 7 years ago

The answer is yes, but what are you suggesting? Like a spaceship filled with centuries of supplies and capabilities to float around until they meet other forms of life? To boldly go where no man has ever gone before?

1. profile image0
      zampanoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

A spaceship filled with champagne and... you.

2. ChapmanHester profile image75

No, what I am suggesting is to make a plan for our future surivial, not wait until something happens.  Right now all our eggs so to speak are all in one basket, and the next step of our natural evolution must be to spread out throughout the cosmos, and make our foot hold a little stronger than living day to day on a little rock floating in space.

3. habee profile image89
      habeeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You know, those Star Trek guys never did go to Bodeligo. I kept watching for that episode when I was a kid because they were always talkin' about going there - to Bodeligo, where no man has gone before. Did I miss the episode? Anyone else see it?

4. ChapmanHester profile image75

No, I'm suggesting we store our information, deep within the crust of the earth in caves etc for postarity for future generations, and possibly send out small capseals like we do with humans ashes, but send them out far enough where they will roam in our place with small homing beacons in the hopes that some day they will find a home on some distant and unknown neighbors doorstep.

4. profile image0
    BIKTMIAposted 7 years ago

The future of humanity evolves around leaders and what their mind set is ? People do what power and money does. It always has been and always will be. With 15 billion dollars and experience who will you listen too. The future of humanity is that that leaders project.

If you think the leaders of this world have your best interests in heart then you're sorely mistaken.  Its about power! What happened to the power of the people? We've given it up to those leaders you think we should just blindly listen to.  They may know how to run a country but have you seen what they're doing about Global Warming?  Nothing really, a few policy changes to reduce emissions, meanwhile weather conditions increase their strength and destruction and we're left to foot the bill for the leaders mistakes and profiteering!

5. Anna Evanswood profile image71
    Anna Evanswoodposted 7 years ago

We are already on a space ship.... It called Earth. We have just been a static orbit:)

I think that humanity thinks too much of its self and its importance. The fossil record (incomplete though it is) tells us one thing.... Extinction is the norm... Earth Will survive very well with or without us.

I think that we should attempt to reverse some of the changes that we have made to the earth. We should worry more about the poor deprived humans on this earth than allowing some wealthy ones to explore space...or colonise other planets.

6. Sexy jonty profile image51
    Sexy jontyposted 7 years ago

very much in danger .....

I think we would be in trouble, and feeling quite stupid for not doing something now, even in the possibility it wont happen but id rather be prepared.

7. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 7 years ago

Maybe your better to Hub this one, just a suggestion yikes

8. Randy Godwin profile image94
    Randy Godwinposted 7 years ago

Perhaps Noah's ark was a spaceship.

1. habee profile image89
      habeeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You don't believe in the Bible. So now you believe in the Bible AND spaceships?

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
        Randy Godwinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I've always believed it's possible for aliens to have visited here.  I've never said the Bible doesn't exist, just that everything in it can't be taken literally.

2. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Actually, if you think about, beit true or not, Noah's ark was a spaceship. It had space for all the animals and Noah's family, AND it was ship design form. So, yeah it was. lol

9. habee profile image89
    habeeposted 7 years ago

I agree, your theory kinda makes sense. "The sons of God looked upon the daughters of men and found them fair." Maybe we're the result of aliens and cave men (or women) matings!

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
      Randy Godwinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yep, the old "horny aliens a long way from home" theory.

10. habee profile image89
    habeeposted 7 years ago

Can you say "horny" on here? Oh, damn! I said "horny"! Oh, horny - I said "damn"! I guess I can forget about becoming a nun now!

11. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 7 years ago

yikes

12. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

Oh yes, is good to have old skills even in the modern world in  the event of such an occurrence big_smile those that prepare will most likely survive a catostrophe. Not sure about storing our DNA since that would probably cost big $$ tongue our leaders have havens of safety but what of the people? not sure hmm

13. pylos26 profile image77
    pylos26posted 7 years ago

Yo...skippr

You still in Fl.?

1. qwark profile image61

I sent you an e mail....didn't ya get it?

14. pylos26 profile image77
    pylos26posted 7 years ago

just got it today. already sent a reply.

1. qwark profile image61

ok RJ send me a reply

15. profile image67
    logic,commonsenseposted 7 years ago

Perhaps we are but a Higgs Bosun particle in another universe!

working