jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the advantages and disadvantages of skim reading?

1. midget38 profile image92
    midget38posted 3 years ago

What are the advantages and disadvantages of skim reading?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I am personally not a fan of people who skim while they read. My mother is a big offender in the sense that she will flip through a book until she finds something that looks interesting. To me this displays a disregard for the narrative and the author who wrote it. I believe the story is sacred. My view of it for non-fiction is a little more lax, and I suppose you could read more if you skim. But does that really even count as reading?

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I never skim when reading fiction. For nonfiction, skimming is good if you're looking for specific information which may be "buried" within information you don't need. Skimming for that specific information is also bad because you may miss it or take the information out of context if you don't take the time to read the surrounding material.

4. Edward J. Palumbo profile image85
    Edward J. Palumboposted 3 years ago

An advantage, if I can describe it as such, is a quick overview of content with eyes drawn (with practice) to key words. The disadvantages, and why I recommend against it, is poor comprehension and retention of material, and a superficial effort to process plot and character development.

working