jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

When you read recreationally, do you read word for word, or do you skim?

1. cjcarter profile image75
    cjcarterposted 6 years ago

When you read recreationally, do you read word for word, or do you skim?

2. Ebower profile image82
    Ebowerposted 6 years ago

When reading for fun, I usually skim.  I like to skip some of the overly descriptive parts in order to focus on the plot of the story.  There's always exceptions to this rule, but that's what I usually do.

3. iviskei profile image73
    iviskeiposted 6 years ago

It depends on what I'm reading. Most of the time I read word for word, but if its an adult book I generally skim through the dirty scenes because they bore me to tears. lol

4. marwan asmar profile image80
    marwan asmarposted 6 years ago

No, not really, its not actually skimming, its moving quickly because this is really what the modern is all about. This is ok as long as you understand the jest of the flow

5. zanaworld profile image64
    zanaworldposted 6 years ago

it depends.

if the article is interesting, i would read word by word.
    if the article started to bore me, I skim.

specially, sometime i skim news reports on certain political news.  but i read word by word news articles on entertainment and sports.

6. LABrashear profile image60
    LABrashearposted 6 years ago

If I'm reading one of my favorite authors, I savor every word.  Sometimes I will even re-read certain parts.  If it's something else, I skim.

7. JEDIJESSICUH profile image80
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

I read word for word unless I come to huge chunks of description. Then I'll skim over it and if I feel I've missed something, I'll go back and reread it. No big deal.

8. delmer47 profile image61
    delmer47posted 6 years ago

I mostly read word for word, but if the chapter I'm reading is too "wordy" or I find myself losing interest, I might skim until I connect again to what is being said.

9. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

I have never read word for word (unless I am reading out loud to someone ) more sentence to sentence so read books quite fast .

10. satice_j profile image76
    satice_jposted 6 years ago

I read word for word! But audio books are great too!

11. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

I read word for word. The only reason I would skim is if I came across a section of the book  that is repeating itself as if I need to be constantly reminded about something or I won't remember. There are some writers who do this. I tend to not read later books by the same writer.

working