jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Should the stand your ground law be banded?

1. jada67 profile image34
    jada67posted 3 years ago

Should the stand your ground law be banded?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8787883_f260.jpg

2. mgeorge1050 profile image80
    mgeorge1050posted 3 years ago

I think the stand your ground law should be adopted everywhere.  Maybe people would think more before committing violent crimes if everyone carried a gun.  If you are referring to the Florida case, I think this is just an example of a crazy person taking things too far.  Of course, if that teen would have considered respecting his fellow humans and his elders, then maybe he would still be with us today.

1. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

So that boy should have obeyed that man right? The man couldn't have simply shut his trap or parked somewhere else? A lot of teens do dumb things, I guess we should all feel justified to blast away? I am sad for this world sometimes.

2. mgeorge1050 profile image80
      mgeorge1050posted 3 years agoin reply to this

A request to turn down a radio shouldn't have to escalate into a shooting, and I think both parties are at fault.  The man should not have shot the boy, but nothing will make me think it is acceptable to blast your radio in a crowded public area.

3. jada67 profile image34
    jada67posted 3 years ago

The stand your ground law should be discontinue because of the damage it has already done two innocent young men was killed, for absolutely nothing .Nothing justify the shooting of Jordan Davis and Trayvon Martin, this law got them killed. Jada67

1. mgeorge1050 profile image80
      mgeorge1050posted 3 years agoin reply to this

That law didn't cause their deaths, stupidity did.  It kind of sounds like those young men were the aggressors in both cases, up until they got shot.  An unarmed person can make you fear for your life, right?  So what do you do then?  It is tragic.

4. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 3 years ago

The evidence suggests that stand your ground laws have very little deterrent effect on criminals. On the other hand it has seemingly encouraged gun-packing standers to commit mayhem on innocent bystanders. When more people realize this, the stand your ground laws most likely will be rescinded.

1. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree, the laws as they stand now encourage reactionary behavior and they need a serious revisit.

5. Amanda108 profile image93
    Amanda108posted 3 years ago

People should always have the right to defend themselves, which is what "stand your ground" really means. Just because it's sometimes abused by people doesn't make it invalid.

working