What causes people to be highly derisive and contentious of those who are socioe

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

What causes people to be highly derisive and contentious of those who are socioeconomically

privileged?  It seems now being affluent is demonized and viewed as greedy and immoral while being poor  and constantly struggling are glorified and viewed in a more positive light which is total inverse logic. 

2. NorthEast Timber profile image60
    NorthEast Timberposted 4 years ago

Don't know.   Because anger is only directed at corporate America.   The poor seem to worship Hollywood,  sports stars and politicians.   And they are among the wealthiest of people.

3. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 3 years ago

I think that sort of attitude has always prevailed and never changed. When I studied in the States in High School, (during the days of the hippies) our family was considered privileged and I was treated rather rudely because of this. On my fourth year in high school in the States, I lived with an uncle in a middle class area and took the bus to a public school, as my father was reassigned to another country. My sister and I remained to finish high school. It was very helpful living with my uncle, I was so much more easily accepted. So experience tells me that such an attitude is nothing new.

At the same time, in the Philippines we have this attitude called "mata pobre" which means, looking down on people who are poor. I am certain that in the US there are a lot of really rich Americans who have the "mata pobre" attitude as well, so it goes both ways.