jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Major disasters say the best way to help is to send money to the Red Cross, why

1. Ruby H Rose profile image75
    Ruby H Roseposted 3 years ago

Major disasters say the best way to help is to send money to the Red Cross, why is that?

why does disaster relief ask for money to be donated as the best way to help out the people effected?

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I think the main reason is because the people on the ground at a disaster site know more precisely what the victims need. If they don't have those items, they can use the money to buy them. I'm also guessing it's so they don't have tons of packages they have to sort through in order to find out what's in them.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I agree with sheilamyers. I've heard local humanitarian organizations say in the past that they prefer when people donate money instead of canned goods and other specific items. The reason being that money lets them purchase exactly what the people need, where as not everyone needs a can of creamed corn.

4. Hawaiian Scribe profile image94
    Hawaiian Scribeposted 3 years ago

I agree with the other writers.  Money can be quickly used to buy what the people need in the disaster area. They canʻt really make use of clothes that donʻt fit, and food the local people wonʻt eat. People in disasters usually also need medical supplies, transportation out of the area, generators to supply power, clean water. By the time you ship "thingsʻ to the area youʻve paid so much to ship it, you might as well have sent a monetary donation.

1. Ruby H Rose profile image75
      Ruby H Roseposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for the great answers.

working