Help for Japan Earthquake / Tsunami Survivors

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. barryrutherford profile image77
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

I know many Hubbers continue to be shocked at the massive level Nine (9) Earthquake that has befell Japan with the accompanying Apocalyptic Tsunami that followed.  I know you want to help with a few dollars.  I have put a link on my profile page to the right place.

2. barryrutherford profile image77

This is a news blog link from Australia covering the tragedy

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan … 2eb10d970b

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Thanks Barry, but this still looks too big of an organization, with the likelihood of most of the money being lost inside it. Does anybody know how to reach local communities directly?

4. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Red Cross seems reputable enough smile

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They do have paid staff, and lots of it, don't they?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They never paid me lol

No  you are correct,they do have some paid  staff,not sure of proportion.

Another thought : Japanese Embassy?

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/index.html

1. Misha profile image62

They link to red cross only...

5. barryrutherford profile image77

Misha

There are other sites online you can go.  Here in Australia we have a Red Cross site.  I looked for one that I thought Americans would trust but there are plenty of others.  I would think this  charity is fully  audited and quite transparent with their activiites...

6. barryrutherford profile image77

Yes I have found another one I think I will change my link to this

http://www.google.co.jp/intl/en/crisisr … e2011.html

1. Misha profile image62

Thanks Barry, it's again red cross, though Japanese one. I took a look at their finance statement, and I am not very happy with what I saw...

1. barryrutherford profile image77
        barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What did you see ?  smile

1. Misha profile image62

No transparency about the part of budget that is spent on organization itself. Judging by very imprecise titles of what money are spent on, this is likely around 30% at least.

1. profile image0
            ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here's a list of 10 charities seeking donations, you may find one here? http://exchange.causes.com/2011/03/trag … your-help/

1. Misha profile image62

Yeah, and some of them even putting adwords ads for that. Just google "japan tsunami donation". How do you think, where money for these ads come from?

1. profile image0

I didn't say that they would help, I said that you may find one, I wasn't going to research each of those organisations smile

Save The Children give 90% of their money directly to programs, 10% on administration costs. There are always going to be administration costs, as they have to pay rent and bills like any other organisation smile There are also logistics. Oxfam only spent 80%, so they spend far more.

Charitywatch.org rates charities on this, http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html

In the International Relief & Development Category only four charities are given the highest grade (A+):

CARE
                Africare
                International Rescue Committee
                Partners In Health

So, I guess that if anybody wants to donate then I suggest that they visit the International Rescue Committee donation page: https://www.rescue.org/donate/emergency

They are currently on standby in Japan. They claim 4% spent on fundraising (and one would assume that this includes their website) and 6% on Administration (which one would assume includes their overheads). So 90% is a decent amount.

1. Misha profile image62

Thanks Ryan, this is quite a comprehensive research smile

7. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

I goggled missionaries in Japan ,because I know the church I go to sponsers a couple there and wondered all and what they were all doing with the money.
    Of course they have been there for 12mths ,working in a hospital so Im assuming the extra donations will get to the right place.

http://www.japanmission.org/

Theres also Salvation Army

8. barryrutherford profile image77

The Red Cross here in Australlia do excellent work.  They need paid staff in order to do a professional job.  I donate money to them & have given blood to them for 35 years

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yea must admit Im only familiar with the NZ Redcross,but you do need to check how/where donated money is going too.

Bugger when greed messes up charity,I reckon.

9. barryrutherford profile image77

80% per cent of something is better than 100% of nothing

unless we hand deliver the money this is the best way to help.  And right now Japan needs all the help it can get.  Failure to get Japan back on track will affect us all in future...

Misha
    you can choose not to donate & thats fine but i feel compelled to encourage myself and others to give something

1. profile image0

80% is better than nothing, but it is not better than 90%.

If one charity is managing to spend 10% on administration and fundraising, whilst the other spends 20%, I would much rather donate to the former.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand the desire to give to organizations that keep the administrative costs as low as possible, and agree with the basic idea.  But let's not forget that some organizations such as the Red Cross provide worldwide assistance and go places to provide services that smaller organizations cannot.  When you think of it that way, then a 30% overhead is not unreasonable.

It is great that we have so many choices for giving.

1. profile image0

I actually never mentioned the Red Cross.

Although you should note that the percentages I am quoting relate to administration and fundraising only.  All costs related to projects are counted in the 80%, 90% or whatever percent. So location of aid is irrelevant, each of the four charities that I listed as well as my two examples deal with things on a global level.

Therefore the 20% that Oxfam spends goes primarily on running offices, paying directors and managers, advertising spending and commission for paid fundraisers (those people with clipboards, they get well paid).

There are charities with numerous directors on six figure salaries. I'm not suggesting that the Red Cross are one, although they may be, but there have been a few revelations in the UK which have resulted in me being very careful where my donations go.

I would hate to see people getting fat on the back of my donations, and the disclosure of statistics like that helps me to make my choice.

10. barryrutherford profile image77

Thanks for your comments we had the recent Queensland Premier's Disaster Flood Relief Appeal here in Queensland

Every dollar donated is going to victims.  The Fund will be admininstered by public servants  but I guess the reality is the costs in administering that fund to taxpayers will be 30%

11. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

A good place to check on organizations:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c … ;cpid=1221

This has tips on responsible giving and a list of recommended/ rated charities that are currently receiving donations specifically for Japan.  (The home page has links to lists for other crises or catastrophes.)

Another evaluator:

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/publ … eauID=9999

http://www.bbb.org/us/article/tips-for- … apan-25992

Finally, a lot of different churches have their own relief organizations; I'm pretty sure that many of them are evaluated and can be checked on these sites (and also on Charitywatch.org).

A lot of Christian denominations participate in "One Great Hour of Sharing" - http://onegreathourofsharing.org/index.html - which is an annual drive to raise funds that can be available immediately when a crisis occurs.  In other words, the donations that were given last year were available to help in Haiti, then in New Zealand, and now in Japan.  The advantage of that conduit is that resources are available at once, without having to be solicited.  But then the coffers have to be replenished.  Another advantage is that the various denominations often have workers on the ground in the location where the catastrophe occurred, and they are able to begin immediately to distribute relief through them. (Like what Eaglekiwi said.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)