jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What is the Difference Between Might and Would?

1. To Learn English profile image59
    To Learn Englishposted 3 years ago

What is the Difference Between Might and Would?

How the meaning of a sentence changes, when we use "might" instead of "would" in that sentence? For example,1. He might come tomorrow. 2. He would come tomorrow. What is the difference between the meaning of these two sentences? And how one sentence is exactly different than the other? Also please tell me, how we can write the same sentence using "probably" in it? Then what would be the exact meaning of that new sentence?

2. Venkatachari M profile image43
    Venkatachari Mposted 3 years ago

'might' refers to something vogue which may or may not take place. It refers to some possibility. But 'would' is used for something assertive.
    For example, when you say "I would like to play" it indicates a confirmation that you like playing. But if you say "I might like to play" it is only doubtful and not an affirmation.

1. To Learn English profile image59
      To Learn Englishposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer! But I still have a little bit confusion. If I say "I will like to play", then how it is different from "I would like to play"? Please also tell me how we can use "probably" in this sentence?

3. jaydawg808 profile image88
    jaydawg808posted 3 years ago

"Might" refers to something that may or may not happen. For instance, "I might ask a girl out on a date." That expresses that he may or may not. It all depends. There's nothing definitive.

"Would" refers to something that is intended to happen. For instance, "I would ask a girl out, if she looked my way." That shows that you're more likely to ask the person.

working