Short of demonstrable evidence, are there any other good, justifiable reasons

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. JMcFarland profile image87
    JMcFarlandposted 4 years ago

Short of demonstrable evidence,  are there any other good,  justifiable reasons for belief?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I've often found comfort to be belief's greatest contribution. Every time I go to a funeral I can instantly understand why it makes people feel better to believe their loved one is in a better place. Similarly, it makes bad events in the world (of which there are many) seem somehow justified because they are part of a plan. Innocent people die, but it's part of god's plan and they will be cared for in heaven. It's like a security blanket to protect against the unjust and the cruel aspects of this world.

As an atheist, I've learned to accept these things as the way the world works, and to be thankful for what I still have. But I can see how belief provides that sense of comfort to theists.

The same would apply if you're referring to belief in the non-religious sense. Someone believes their loved one, who is in a coma, will pull through. Not because evidence supports it, but because it's too hard to think of the alternative.

JMcFarlandposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree that beliefs can be a source of comfort but I've never heard of someone coming to a belief because it's comforting.

2. Thomas Swan profile image96
      Thomas Swanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree MT.
      JM, I agree that no-one could take themselves seriously if they believed something for being comforting, however, if something is comforting, we generally bias our thinking towards finding evidence for it. Check out motivated reasoning.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

In foster care I encountered a girl who was likely saved (literally) by becoming a believer. She was always suicidal, had attempted to kill herself several times, and would have probably ended up succeeding if my foster parent at the time wouldn't have instilled the belief of the Christian God into her,. Something about belief made her happy again. She completely changed. She had been horribly abused for years and had lost faith in herself. Since she couldn't get that self esteem back up, the belief in a God was her reason to continue living. Anytime someone can gain that type of a positive I would say it is justifiable, so long as that belief is only for their benefit and isn't used to dictate others.

great answer, I hadn't thought of it that way.

2. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Just the opposite happened to me. I was suicidal for years believing God was the reason for so much pain in the world. The day I looked up and stopped believing in God was the day I became happy again. I accepted the universe as is.

3. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm similar austinstar, however I do my best to understand others and if it can help them, wonderful!

4. Snøwman profile image60
    Snøwmanposted 4 years ago

You trust God more than you trust man. Let's look at Noah. He built an ark in the middle of the desert. Logically that doesn't make sense. Normally you build boats in the water, not in the desert. Noah knew that God knew what he was doing and built the ark in the desert. Then the flood came.

Noah didn't have demonstrable evidence that building an ark in the desert was a good idea, but he held onto his belief and was saved.

All of that is entirely dependent on whether or not the story is true, however.

2. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Noah is a mythological character. Noah did not build and sail an ark. The story of Noah's Ark is allegorical.

5. DanielMarcosi profile image82
    DanielMarcosiposted 4 years ago

"Belief" is a concept embraced by people who need a source, other than their own will, to help control their own destinies. In fact, there are many people who choose "belief" over their own will.
    I'm interested in knowing what you consider "demonstrable evidence."
    "Belief" is the absence of demonstrable evidence.

I would say that "faith" is belief in something without evidence.  I don't necessarily see belief and faith as the same thing in all circumstances, and I think trust is separate from both as well.

2. DanielMarcosi profile image82
      DanielMarcosiposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think that "belief" encompasses "faith", "optimism", "pessimism", etc.. I cannot speak intelligently on "trust" because I've never experienced it.
      I am still interested in an example of demonstrable evidence regarding "belief."

6. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 4 years ago

No. Belief in fantasies coupled with efforts to enact those fantasies in the real world is a problem to be solved. Belief is counter to reason, critical thinking, science and have no place in the modern world.

7. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 4 years ago

It seems as though some people really need that crutch. They also need some kind of guide to let them know that their life has meaning. Another thing is that 'morality' thing. I wonder sometimes if people didn't have "God" and the 10 Commandments if they wouldn't go stark raving mad. Religion gives people a set of rules to live by. I don't understand why we can't all just get along, but some people need to be told how to act for some reason. I for one, think the "do unto others as you would have done unto you" is the only sufficient rule to live by. However, it has been demonstrated that some people truly lack empathy toward others, so they need help deciding how to treat other people.
    Also, it's almost impossible to get rid of social pressure and escape the environment in which you were raised.

8. aguasilver profile image72
    aguasilverposted 4 years ago

Some folk find logic and reason sufficient for them, others are capable of perceiving the spiritual aspects of existence and therefore capable of holding a relationship with God.

Once someone has experienced the power fo God at work in the physical world, it's impossible NOT to have faith, that faith can be shaken at times, but when they recount the miracles they have witnessed, it's restored.

Most real believers (as opposed to those who use their 'Christianity' to further Churchianity) will know that we are spiritual beings temporarily inhabiting a physical plain of existence, and that we have the capacity, and obligation, to exert that spiritual power invested in us to change the physical world and bring it under the authority of Gods Kingdom.

Not having the understanding of this is fine, for reason and logic are also an acceptable 'faith' to hold, provided that those holding it can agree that and accept that others do have spiritual abilities that they do not share.

Russ Brand says it well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bKQXmvdr8o

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)