jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

If you could have your baby genetically designed, would you?

1. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

If you could have your baby genetically designed, would you?

If science offered you the chance to create the "ideal" child at the time of conception - allowing you to select your baby's genetic composition, such as eye color, hair color, gender, height, intelligence level and such - would you want it? Or would you prefer to let nature decide these things?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9046865_f260.jpg

2. Hackslap profile image87
    Hackslapposted 3 years ago

Considering that 'Science is offering me the chance to create my ideal child'..I guess we've kissed any major task to 'nature' goodbye..I'd choose everything if available as an option..

bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for answering smile

3. profile image0
    Grey Templesposted 3 years ago

Absolutely not, I would let God create my baby.  People who want designer babies end up with designer baby issues and medical issues down the road.  There is not enough scientific research out there to know what kind of damage is done to the baby.  How sad that people have to screw around with babies prior to birth.  That's just wrong.

And I think it would take a lot of the fun anticipation out of it, too. I told the OB's with my last three not to tell me the gender when they looked at the sonograms. I was going to love the baby no matter what, you know?

4. mgeorge1050 profile image79
    mgeorge1050posted 3 years ago

No thanks, I would just let nature do her thing.  It would be great if they came up with ways to prevent birth defects and disease, but choosing options like the baby is a car or something seems extreme.

I agree.

5. Angelladywriter profile image67
    Angelladywriterposted 3 years ago

I appreciate my Creator's ability to decide what my child should look like and that's alright with me.

smile

6. JohnGreasyGamer profile image84
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 3 years ago

As nice as the idea of having the perfect child sounds I think it's too comparable to Adolf Hitler's view of the master race. He encouraged all kinds of things to make sure that the ideal German met certain guidelines and even exterminated those who weren't; would our genetically altered sons and daughters want to expand upon his ideas and their own creation? It's possible that if they believe they're perfect, why wouldn't they use this technology to essentially create the perfect race?

Not that all genetically modified children would grow up to become neo-Nazis, that was just a very extreme example and highly unlikely. But it is a fact that many would just have children and use the technology for fashion purposes like "designer infants", born to do nothing more than be pretty, afterwards they grow up and have no other purpose in life as far as their parents are concerned.

On a positive note though, we could potentially eliminate mental and physical disfigurement or disorders and everyone can begin life healthily. Who wouldn't want a son or daughter to begin life strong, naturally intelligent and be a charmer?

I think we should let nature control how we're born and how we leave this Earth, because humans would no doubt abuse this system as we naturally do. Sure this technology may be created by responsible people, but who will it be handed down to, and how long will it be before the inevitable abuse of such control over human life?

Great points, John!

working